Dancing in the Rain

Options

Comments

• doingitanyway
    Options
    Well done to making the 15,000's DIA. I use the day and night cream from Ald1 and I love them.
    Are you doing the December NSD challenge? I need to look for it and join this month. Just one thing I can't get my head round is if all my money is budgeted from now until the next pay day does that mean that every day should be a NSD? Do you count spend days as money spent that shouldn't have been.
    Thanks Tink :) I can't believe I just discovered Ad1 face care. Using their wipes too tonight. Such good value and quality, buying anything else feels like throwing money away...
    I am signed up for the Dec NSD challenge. I take it as if you spend money on any day in any way that is NOT a NSD. So even budgeted money if spent is spending. But, maybe others see it differently? I did 14/15 for November so didn't hit target :(
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    With NSD's I never include budgeted money. That's already allocated as a spend. It's the unallocated spends that ruin an NSD. In my opinion.

My direct debits etc all come out at different times and if I tried to make sure that I aligned my spend days with them then I lost focus and would binge shop. Plus, that's a huge amount of details I needed to keep a track of.

To me, keeping budgeted spends outside of NSD's worked best. Just my opinion and experience there. MTxx
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    I understand direct debits and I wouldn't count those either but other than that I don't get it, that way if I plan all my spending every day will be a NSD. So if I give myself an allowance of say £5 a day in advance, then that's okay? It isn't so much of a challenge then?
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Orange_Ena
    Orange_Ena Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    Options
    For me I count a spend day as any time I use cash or card. If I go the whole day without opening my purse, that's an NSD. Direct debits don't count, they do their own thing. It's funny everyone has their own way :D
    Debt Apr 15 - £6895.44 :( Apr 17 - £2500 :) Dec 17 - £560 :) July 18 - £199 :D
    CHEFS challenge (Cruise Holiday Entirely Funded by Surveys) - £685.79
    Every penny is a prisoner :D
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    True Orange Ena everyone has their own way. I do the cash or debit from my account too. One of the highs of NSDs for me is having a £25 spending budget for the week and not spending anything for 4 days and then feeling incredibly wealthy because I have £25 and only 3 days to go before I have ANOTHER weekly £25. :D This DF journey has given me a distorted idea of sudden incredible wealth :rotfl:

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Orange_Ena
    Orange_Ena Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    Options
    One of the highs of NSDs for me is having a £25 spending budget for the week and not spending anything for 4 days and then feeling incredibly wealthy because I have £25 and only 3 days to go before I have ANOTHER weekly £25. :D This DF journey has given me a distorted idea of sudden incredible wealth :rotfl:

:rotfl::rotfl: Brilliant.

If only there were a few zeros on the end eh. :D
    Debt Apr 15 - £6895.44 :( Apr 17 - £2500 :) Dec 17 - £560 :) July 18 - £199 :D
    CHEFS challenge (Cruise Holiday Entirely Funded by Surveys) - £685.79
    Every penny is a prisoner :D
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    I don't really do much with NSDs but agree that I would treat them as spending out of budget, not things that are already accounted for.

I have a steam cleaner from Ald1 and it's fine - it hasn't had much use, but that's due to the amount of hassle getting things out of the way to get to it in the cupboard as much as the fiddle of setting it up. I kept it on the assumption I will be able to use it more when I live somewhere with actual storage!

I am also wondering about a dishwasher DIA. It's not that I mind washing up, but it does take time that is in short supply and if I cook more the problem will get worse. I think the little ones are reasonably eco friendly.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,331 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Dishwashers are fab.
    Though you may need more crockery.

Everyone has their own rules for NSD's.
    I dont include budgeted spends.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's not just DD's I ignore. It's shopping and petrol and all other things I spend cash on but that has its on pot. But I think it has to work how you want it to so that you stay interested. I find using YNAB makes NSD's obsolete for me as every penny has its job allocated. I would just be putting off the spend so it lists it's meaning.

MTxx
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,764 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 30 November 2016 at 10:54PM
    Options
    Rosa, I am very far away from owning a dishwasher again, but once I am DF like you it is on the top of my list. It will be nice to have one in your new home. Beanielou, I have lots of crockery already thankfully so that shouldn’t be a problem.

As regards NSDs I now see we are all doing completely different things and that is okay.

I decluttered some foundation that, although expensive, was the wrong colour spot no point keeping it.

I decluttered some shoes that I love, love, love! but they are shabby and I had to let them go:(

I decluttered 2 bowls by breaking 2 in one go. A record! I am now having soup from a casserole lid

Now my lights are fixed again I did a bulb audit as missing bulbs are depressing and I have lots of wall lights as well as overhead lights.

When did lightbulbs become so complicated different sizes, different fittings and so expensive? :eek:

I spent £6 on 2 lightbulbs and that was with £1 off for purchasing 2.

My living room looks so much better fully lit. :)

A stressed out day because of IT issues whilst WFH, but it is over now so I live to fight another day.

Happy hump day
    DIA x

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills