How much rent do you pay?

I pay £600 per month to live in the centre of Sheffield. It is a great location but I am finding my self getting in to more and more debt. I have a part time job but that doesnt even come close to covering it.

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,865
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Wow! Is that an average sort of student rent?

Do you need to live in the centre of Sheffield? I thought a lot of students live in S10 and S11.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you're getting into debt then clearly the rent is too high and you need to find somewhere cheaper. I don't know Sheffield well but I'd be astonished if you can't find a house share for considerably less than that.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 14 January 2016 at 11:44AM
    I pay £600 per month to live in the centre of Sheffield. It is a great location but I am finding my self getting in to more and more debt. I have a part time job but that doesnt even come close to covering it.

In Sheffield there is plenty of rooms available for £300 a month. There's pages and pages of matches on Rightmove at that price point.

I got to page 87 before the rent became £600 per month.

Can you share?
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • I live in a apartment, half of the rent is paid for by my parents.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    How many beds is your apartment ?
    Couldn't you get someone in to share with.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Nope! Its just a one bedroom apartment.
  • Double_V
    Double_V Posts: 912 Forumite
    £800 2 bed flat Crawley
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I live in a apartment, half of the rent is paid for by my parents.

Well, it's clear from what HappyMJ has found that the half paid by your parents would be enough to cover the full rent on a room in Sheffield, so the solution to your financial problems is obvious.
  • Definitely but for what I am getting I cant go wrong, its a brilliant view and not full of party animals who misbehave! lol I dont want to share with other people.
  • Robster88
    Robster88 Posts: 121
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    £600 a month is expensive for Sheffield, but if you don't want to live with other people (which I can sympathise with) then you do have to pay more.

Places like Atlantic One were £500 a month last time I looked but that was quite a few years ago now.

But it is worth remembering that house sharing needn't mean living with misbehaving party animals unless you're friends with misbehaving party animals..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure