vodaphone iPhone 6 plus

Options
My boyfriend has developed a fault with his iPhone 6 plus, the silent switch is not working and this looks like it is a very common problem with the 6's.
He took it to the Vodafone shop who sent it away for repair and said that if it was a manufactures fault it would be repaired and sent back in a minimum of 10 days. We had a phone call yesterday from their repair centre saying that they would send a refurbished phone for £234 as the phone is out of warranty, by 6 weeks.
Having been passed from pillar to post today and noone wanted to help at all other than offering to buyback the phone at £250 and that's not taking into consideration the broken button.
Vodafone have to be the most unhelpful company I've come across, we spoke to citizens advice this morning who said about the supply of goods and services act and we even said this to Vodafone who are still not fussed.

Has anyone had any problems like this with Vodafone and I phones? I don't see why apple is only 12 months warranty and everyone else is 24 months.

Comments

• YaoSong
    YaoSong Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    I know previous generations of iPhones had this issue but this is the first I've heard for the iPhone 6 and certainly the one I own.

The real problem with your scenario is that Vodafone took the phone for repair on the basis that it was a manufacturer's fault. For them to turn around and offer you a refurbished phone suggests they are unable to return your iPhone 6 with just the silent switch issue, i.e. it's now broken beyond repair?. Ask them explicitly to return the phone with the same issue as it was still working and this may provide the real reason why they are offering you a refurb.
  • bailey23
    Options
    I spoke to someone on their live chat who said the phone was with apple and it's not in a condition to use. Spoke to their repair centre directly who are sending the phone back and they hadn't done anything to it as it's out of warranty.
    Apple don't tend to fix phones they will just send you a refurbished one and then the one you send them will be refurbished for someone else. We sent an iPhone 5 back and had it replaced when the contract was almost up and they honoured that with no problems.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Will the Repair Centre send you a engineers' report about why the iPhone is "not in a condition to use"?

The contract is with Vodafone and they should honour the SoGA (or whatever it's called these days).

Apple are usually good in terms of After Care. A couple of years ago my iMac developed a fault with the LCD. Would've cost me over £400 to repair it but I exercised the SoGA and it was done free of charge. The computer was getting on for four years old.

Are you able to book a Genius Bar appointment at all?

I've done this myself before (at Meadowhall, five years ago) and Apple took a look at my iPhone and swapped it over for a refurbished handset.

Check out: https://getsupport.apple.com and speak to Apple's Live Chat. They are usually very helpful.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure