Discuss the 31 New York Tips guide

Options
MSE_Jenny
MSE_Jenny Posts: 1,312 MSE Staff
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
articlealert2_banner.gif

Hi all,

We've written a new 31 New York Tips guide and would love your feedback.

How did you find the info? Was it useful? Do you have any other tips you'd add?

Thanks for your help!

MSE Jenny

Comments

• Rambosmum
    Rambosmum Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you want to go up the crown you need to book in advance.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,965 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Free walk, self guided, with no need to pay or tip!

http://www.thehighline.org/
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    edited 12 January 2016 at 12:34PM
    Options
    You say "In New York it is illegal for a landlord to rent out their home for less than 30 days if there are more than three apartments in his or her block – unless the landlord is staying in the apartment at the same time as you."

What do you mean by 'New York'? if you clarify where the law actually applies this will help moneysavers.

Tip number 1 doesn't mention you may need to factor the price of a hotel in Oslo or Dublin to reduce the risk of actually missing your flight to NYC.

You don't mention that if you book a flight on a non EU operating air carrier from NYC-UK you aren't entitled to the benefits of EU reg Ec261/2004, including Virgin flights operated by Delta and BA flights operated by AA.

Tip 4 mentions 'big buys' without mentioning customs allowances on entry to the UK.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    So whatever you save on your NY trip, you'll spend on tipping.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    "If you want to visit the Statue of Liberty, a ticket to Liberty Island, including ferry there and back, is around $20 per person, while a harbour tour's start around $30. "
    :eek:
    Could we have that in English with the correct punctuation please?
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A free walking tour isnt one that you pay for at the end as it still has a cost, but the cost is up to the person taking part.

Personally I would suggest big apple greeters, who are truly free as they aren't even allowed to take tips at the end of the tour, heck my greeter wouldn't even let me buy them a coffee!

Also its a personal tour so you get a more indepth outlook on the cityRegarding taxis my top tip would be to always know where you are going and ensure you know your cross street, we are spoilt in this country as our cabbies know where they are going but im often surprised when NY taxi drivers dont know where even the biggest places are, for example i once had to show one on a map where Bryant Park was

And finally shopping...a number of stores, macys/bloomingdales to name two do an out of towners discount card, which will give you 10% off pretty much everything, just make your way to the customer service area and show them some i.d.
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 January 2016 at 4:00PM
    Options
    MSE_Jenny wrote: »
    articlealert2_banner.gif

Hi all,

We've written a new 30 New York Tips guide and would love your feedback.

How did you find the info? Was it useful? Do you have any other tips you'd add?

Thanks for your help!

MSE Jenny

My tip is to post this in the correct thread-Everything New York
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Buying a Gray Line/City line bus tour is $49 for Uptown. and the same for Downtown.

Buy them together for $59 - and get the following thrown in;

A City by night bus trip
    A hop on hop,off boat trip covering the main sights
    A card giving between 10 and 25% off various restaurants and attractions.

It lasts three days, so well worth it.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    edited 12 January 2016 at 11:44PM
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    You say "In New York it is illegal for a landlord to rent out their home for less than 30 days if there are more than three apartments in his or her block – unless the landlord is staying in the apartment at the same time as you."

What do you mean by 'New York'? if you clarify where the law actually applies this will help moneysavers....

MSE didn't bother to clarify where this law doesn't apply re tip 16

Search http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2230655 to find out
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Sequins4
    Options
    I've just come back from New York and this would have been a handy guide, just two things to add we bought our city passes over here off the Costco website before we left (works out cheaper if you are able to purchase them from the Costco site) if you google Costco uk New York City pass.....I tried to add the link but not allowed being a new member.

The city passes were great, 6 attractions for £64.99 so you get a good saving!

The other tip I have is to download the New York ulmon app, it was so handy having an interactive map that worked offline on your phone, you can pin places you want to go and it will tell you which subway stations are close to the places you want to go! I've also used the Orlando one last year. As far as I can remember this app is free (please correct me if I'm wrong) it has some interesting reads on there on the "discover" section with tips on different things to do with New York.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure