One family junior bond

Options
Hi
My 2 children have had a One family junior bond which is invested in their sovereign 3 bond. We have been paying £10 month since birth the eldest is now 15 and the fund is worth £2306. this performance seems bit poor to me but i have little information on this. Would this be better transferred to a junior ISA with the amount of years left to go on this ??? she would possibly use this at age 18 or am i better off keeping it with them.

many thanks

Comments

• Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,285 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Friendly Society bonds such as yours offer rather poor value due to the high charges and deductions for a small life insurance element that you probably didn't want anyway.

At a rough calculation you have earned 3.2% pa on your investment. Not great but not disastrous either for a conservatively invested fund. Recent falls in the stock market will have made that look worse than if you had got a valuation a few months ago.

You could switch but if it is for only a couple of years it is probably not worth it, and given current stock market volatility perhaps a cautious fund is not such a bad thing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure