Diy-kitchens

Options
2»

Comments

• Lungboy
    Lungboy Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's very easy to do, although they have lots of unit sizes that other companies don't seem to offer. For example, I've ordered 950mm blind corner units, and Magnet et al don't have such things.
  • leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    edited 12 January 2016 at 8:11PM
    Options
    IIRC Howdens only have 2 carcase colours whereas DIY have a good choice of carcase colours. Nothing worse than seeing a plum coloured door and White carcase behind it.
  • cddc
    cddc Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you know what you want and can plan your own and have your own fitter, they are good value.

If you want a one stop shop service, (design, supply and fit) you will need to look elsewhere.
  • beaker141
    beaker141 Posts: 509 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had a quote from Howdens "who price match" and then showed them the quote I had created from DIY kitchens - they couldnt match it and he agreed it was at least an equivalent quality etc. mentioning the duropol worktops, blum hinges etc

I ordered and fitted myself - pretty pleased with it all - I went for oak doors and oak coloured carcass. Its been in 2 years now and I'm still happy with it.
  • april87
    april87 Posts: 353 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I attempted to mimic what B&Q had listed in their design and try get a rough cost using DIY Kitchens, and I seem to have come up a tad more expensive.
    As mentioned we have a builder/kitchen person coming Sat and I will ask his opinion. The plus side with DIY is that the units come built, means quicker fit (or I would hope so).
  • madeinireland_2
    Options
    Don't be surprised to hear them say they wouldn't do it - too much of a risk.

Meanwhile if they are working with howdens or the like they will be taking their own cut.

I think there probably is an element of risk but when I priced them up against another supplier they were £4K cheaper so I would think they might be worth a bit of risk and so many people on here say they were happy with them - even those who say they had delivery issues seem to concede the quality is good - so I am considering them as well.

I will attempt to mitigate the risk by ordering well in advance and inspecting before the fitter gets round to starting - once I've found a fitter of course.
  • Ramona123
    Options
    I got my kitchen from DIY Kitchens and got a friend to fit it. It was 1/3 of the price that Betta Living were trying to charge me for exactly the same kitchen! Betta Living did say that appliances I would get with the kitchen were free lol

The planning seemed daunting at first but just measuring the kitchen and getting some graph paper allowed me to work out the space that I had. I then just drew in the unit sizes and any small gaps were filled with filler panels.
    For a complete novice, I did a pretty good plan and got cupboards and appliances exactly where I wanted them. I even drew my new kitchen on the newly plastered wall complete with sockets and wiring channels so that the sparky and fitter could see where everything was going to go. Sad I know:-)
  • madeinireland_2
    Options
    Sounds good.

I may well do the same as currently exploring options.

Another option is just to get someone in to design from one or more of the sheds till you get a design you are happy with and then just give it to Diy-kitchens and then will create the order for you that you can check.
  • I used DIY Kitchens about a year and a half ago and it was great. Good customer service, I love my units (I got handle less) and it still looks amazing. I also got a great sink, tap and extractor hood, all reasonably priced. My builder was also quite skeptical but after installing he said he was quite impressed.

The only thing I would stress - and I can't stress this enough - is to measure carefully and make sure your measurements are exact. I made the mistake of getting a tall unit that was too shallow depth wise, and because the oven unit was going in between the tall units my builder needed to build a bit of an extension bit for the back. But that was down to me, not DIY kitchens.

Great product - at least I think so; I really love my kitchen :)

Good luck with the work either way!
  • garffy75
    Options
    I have definitely decided to go with DIY. They take back and send extra so should be ok. Thanks for all your feedback!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure