Diy-kitchens

Options
Hi

Has anyone used DIY Kitchens? The reviews seem to good to be true. Looked at B&Q today and my brother wouldn't put them in his cow shed. Absolutely awful! Other recommendations greatly received (mid budget kitchen). Thanks!

Comments

• leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    edited 11 January 2016 at 8:31PM
    Options
    I've used them a few times (Joiner) and I'm quite impressed.Far better than Howdens,Magnet,B&Q etc and every one i have done in the past couple of years has been a lot cheaper than the rest . The carcases have a 2mm ABS edgebanding whereas the rest put a paper thin 0.8mm melamine edging on theirs .ABS is far more hardwearing.

The last one I fitted worked out £1300 cheaper than Howdens quoted and ther quote was for a Oak Veneered doors and Axiom laminate worktops. DIY's were solid Oak doors,Durapol worktops, all the wire baskets,pull outs,drawers,doors etc are all pre fitted which saves time.

DIY also sell Duropal worktops and as laminates go they are better than the likes of Axiom which IIRC Howdens sell. The only downside(if you can call it that) is you have to order each item online and design the kitchen but there is free online software to help you. For a volume UK producer they are pretty decent kitchens.

Best advice is don't go with Howdens,B&Q,Wickes etc and whatever you do don't get them to fit the kitchen as they will charge you a premium, take their 50% cut ,pass the job on to a subcontractor who will then take his cut and sub the job out to a fitter.
  • garffy75
    Options
    Thanks. I am going to show my builder the samples. The fact they do samples is a major plus!
  • garffy75
    Options
    My builder didn't recommend Howdens either!
  • leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    Options
    garffy75 wrote: »
    Thanks. I am going to show my builder the samples. The fact they do samples is a major plus!
    You pay for the samples but you get the money refunded when they go back, even if you don't go with them for the kitchen. If you do go with them , when the kitchen is delivered the delivery guys will take them back.

Theres quite a good video on Youtube of their factory.........I like machinery:D
  • garffy75
    Options
    Their samples are great - the door is so heavy! We may sell in a few years and apparently any of their doors will fit on ours if people hate it. Going for simple plain handleless white gloss. A pale marble laminate and glass splashback (from local suppler).
  • garffy75
    Options
    I can safely say that factory did not make the b&q kitchens I saw today! Amazing factory!
  • wymondham
    wymondham Posts: 6,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Did my kitchen this year using their products - excellent quality and the backup is good also!
  • Lungboy
    Lungboy Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I ordered a kitchen from them on Saturday so I'm hoping they are good, also gloss white handleless as it happens.
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    done my own
    b and q measured it up and when they wanted to fit it
    i said
    youll have to wait as we have no money.. then after delivery
    I done it myself..easy but nervously. saved 2 k...

anyway
    have a look on you tube
    loads of help ..or even sign up to a diy forum
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • april87
    april87 Posts: 353 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

currently in the process of wanting to get our kitchen done, and so far we have had quotes from B&Q and Wren. Have just come across this thread, visited the website and have seen very similar kitchen designs if not the same that we were quoted for. We have Howdens coming this weekend to lay out a design as well as a kitchen fitter to give us a quote. If we decided to buy from here, how easy is it to do so? i.e cupboard sizes etc. Could in theory we use the plan from B&Q/Howdens and just order the sizes of cupboards they have measured us up for?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure