Flight delay/missed due to inadequate time allowed to transit between flights

geoff_barnes
geoff_barnes Posts: 7 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
edited 12 January 2016 at 12:26AM in Flight delay compensation
This post is aimed at preventing a flight delay.
I have a through ticketed flight with Air China from Bangkok to London Heathrow, I have to change planes at Beijing Airport where I have 1 hour to transfer between flight, Air China who sold me the ticket say on their web site that a minimum of 1 hour should be allowed on International Transfers. I have asked advice on several travel forums, who say that even if the flight is on time I am very unlikely to get to the London bound plane before the gate closes.
My question is, can I use Air China's error in selling me a flight that I am unlikely to be able to make, to try to be placed on an earlier flight to Beijing or if they do not will I be able to claim compensation because it was their error that meant I was not able to complete my journey.
I should add that on my outbound flight it took 1 hour 30 min to make the transit, due to massive queues.

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You can ask...

The EU rules on compensation would not apply, so in the event of a missed connection it is unlikely that you would get so much as a penny.
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    UK law is not going to help you at all in this case, ask politely by all means, they have up to 4 flights a day from Bangkok but the reviews of Air China are along the lines of 'never again' 'rude and unhelpful' so that may explain why their fares are so cheap....and may hint at the answer they give you.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,544 Forumite
    My question is, can I use Air China's error in selling me a flight that I am unlikely to be able to make, to try to be placed on an earlier flight to Beijing or if they do not will I be able to claim compensation because it was their error that meant I was not able to complete my journey.

Looking at a random date on Air China website for BKK-LHR there are 4 different options with transfer times 1hr 5mins, 3hr 5mins, 6hrs and 8hrs. It is ultimately the passengers responsibility to choose a connection time that they are comfortable with. Some passengers will be happy with the 1hr 5mins and others will not be so will choose one of the longer options. The fact that it is on one ticket and meets the minimum (note this is not a 'recommended' time) connection time mean that the airline can sell the combination of flights
    Was the short connection the only one available on your date of travel?
    Did you consider any of the other options?
    If you wish to change the flight I would expect the fare rules/change fees etc to apply. If you were to miss the PEK-LHR flight I would expect Air China to get you on their next flight that has available seats
  • Thank you for the responses, I did not choose the one hour lay over time, it was all that was offered to me when booking the flight through an agent.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,544 Forumite
    Thank you for the responses, I did not choose the one hour lay over time, it was all that was offered to me when booking the flight through an agent.

as you booked with a third party, should you decide to contact Air China they will likely point you back to your agent re ticket changes etc (the airline does not have control of the booking until 24 hours before the flight) - depending on the agent they may have additional admin fees too
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Personally I would have a conversation with the agent: look up the flight times so that you can say that on your day of travel there are alternative flights (and know the numbers) that give a longer connection time; mention to the agent that these 'safer' options were not offered to you; make it clear that missing your long-haul sector would cause you serious consequences and ask what they can do.

If no joy: once you are in Bangkok you could visit an office of your airline there and see if they can do anything for you. And your final chance: you could arrive at the airport check-in desk in time for one of the earlier flights, and if they have space on it they might well put you on to it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure