Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

If we vote for Brexit what happens

Options

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kabayiri wrote: »
    How will the 27 EU states manage to keep their discussions over negotiating position under wraps?

Last weeks event clearly showed the fissures rising to the surface. The EU is not a collective force. Totally the opposite. The UK doing nothing will simply accelerate the divisions.
  • MobileSaver
    Options
    houses were very affordable in the UK and that actually we're not in a crisis. Are people serious when they type this kind of stuff?

Here's an example from a report in 2015...

In Burnley the average income is £20,280 while the median house price is £39,500 ... would you agree that that is rather affordable?

In other words just because the highly desirable centre of London is out of reach for most doesn't mean that there aren't lots of affordable houses elsewhere in the UK.
    Every generation blames the one before...
    Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
  • divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Most people buy a property for a home!!! Something to call their own. We have just bought a property after our landlord sold our rented place. Our mortgage is £100 cheaper, we can do what we want to it, we don't have inspections every 3 months, we don't have to worry about every little thing and most importantly to us. It's security and our home. Yea if it makes money from house price rises, brilliant. If not it's still our home.
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Options
    setmefree2 wrote: »

We must assume that both German Banks are taking action NOW to mitigate any down side of Brexit.
    We all have over two years to reposition ourselves but it's better to take action early in the process.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • Thrugelmir
    Options
    gfplux wrote: »
    We must assume that both German Banks are taking action NOW to mitigate any down side of Brexit.
    We all have over two years to reposition ourselves but it's better to take action early in the process.

German banks have big challenges ahead. Brexit is one of many. DB is rapidly taking on the mantle of RBS.
  • gfplux
    Options
    Conrad wrote: »
    Tons of migrants send money back to Romania et al where they build big houses, and much of this is undeclared cash - even my own takeaway delivery chap likes to update me with photos showing the progress of his huge house being built and he deffo pays no tax and is well below thresholds, and yet is quite likely to be in receipt of housing benefit, CB, Tax credits, NHS use etc etc

There was a documentary on recently, CH4 possibly, about Roma and this showed exactly what I describe - their whole aim is to get cash out of the UK in order to build assets back home. No way to naïve 'experts' and academics count any of this in their silly surveys and studies

Lose, lose

I think living in England you have lost site of the proper size of houses that other people live in.
    The Romanians "huge" house you describe is just a normal size of property outside of England.
  • Thrugelmir
    Options
    I voted to remain. I lost. I would like the "three Brexiteers" - Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson, International Trade Secretary Liam Fox and "Brexit" secretary David Davis to get Britain out ASAP.

Out of curiosity where in the UK do you reside?
  • gfplux
    edited 22 September 2016 at 3:20PM
    Options
    setmefree2 wrote: »

Do you think this is distributors filling the pipeline as an insurance against the disruption that tarif changes will bring.
    I see no increase in the demand for British built cars in my market but most customers don't know where their car is built
  • gfplux
    Options
    kabayiri wrote: »
    How will the 27 EU states manage to keep their discussions over negotiating position under wraps?

The needs of Germany may centre on trade. The needs of Hungary and Poland may focus on exporting labour. The needs of the French will be based on, well, who knows...

They couldn't even agree easily on Cameron's limp set of pre-referendum reforms.

There will be SO MUCH hot air and leaks from all sides non of us will know what is true and what is false.
  • gfplux
    edited 22 September 2016 at 3:19PM
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Out of curiosity where in the UK do you reside?

Thrugelmir, just look at any of my postings. You will see I live in Luxembourg.
    Just under the "join date"
    I see that most people on this thread do not put their location in their profile so you can not see their "potential" regional bias.
    You have also missed this out on your profile. Why?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure