PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm's Thread 2016

Options

Comments

• Lynplatinum
    Options
    PS re not finishing books - I once belonged to a Book Club which read very heavy duty stuff - including Salman Rushtie - dont think it went down well when I said that his work seemed to be all about a middle aged man indulging in extreme self pity!! And that I couldnt be bothered to finish such a boring book!!! :-)
    there is so much great stuff out there - why waste time?? (You folks have mentioned authors I havent tried - so exciting)
    I left the book club shortly after - cant stand pretentious folk who read what is fashionable!! (Or seems clever!) there's nowt like a good old aga saga for a comfort read :-)
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    AliBee16 wrote: »
    Child 44 which is a near perfect crime novel,

I read Child 44 and found it brilliant I also have read his two follow up books,great writer.

Giddynmg The Mitch Albom book was so good that when I was in New York in 2008 I bought the next three of his books as I couldn't get them here.I loved Tuesdays with Morrie.

There are books I read to relax ,and books I read to inform.

The only book I have never managed to finish was Moby !!!!.I had it on my reading list when I was doing my degree and after getting so bored with it I told the tutor it was really hard going. I had got to page 126 and the hero hadn't even got onto a boat !!

The course I was on that semester was literature of the sea so she gave me an alternative book called The Star of The Sea by Joseph O'Connor and it was a great book, all about a ship going from Ireland to New York during the potato famine and the people on board. Highly recommend it to anyone
  • lollyfin
    lollyfin Posts: 299 Forumite
    Options
    Can I join in too. I've got a little list going now of book you have recommended so I'm going to have a look and see if they are for me.
    I'm another one who always finished books when I was younger but now if I'm not getting it or feel that I don't care about what happens then I'm just not going to read it...quite a freeing feeling.
    I love sci if/fantasy books, nothing too heavy, Terry Pratchett and Game of Thrones series were my favourites a couple of years ago.
    I'm another one who likes to have a couple of books on the go at a time, an easy read and one to learn from and usually some kind of self help book too.
    I'm away to start the Chimp Paradox (was recommended by someone on another thread here) and I also got the new konmarie book on my kindle.
    konMarie and fabbing all the way
    Weight loss challenge starting 11st loss in November 4lb
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,047 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    So many lovely recommendations since I last looked!

I remember that as a young girl I read a book a day, mostly (at one point) fairy stories. Because of that I find it especially odd that I can't plough through scifi/fantasy books, I'm not able to follow the story or names of the characters.

My mother has a collection of very old books by Rex Stout, the Nero Wolfe stories. Written in the '30s I think they feature the 'genius' dectective Wolfe who is enormously fat and never leaves his brownstone house in NY. Very light reading and of their time. I read one occasionally when at her place overnight.

At my bedside now is another Craig Robertson book, Cold Grave.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm exactly the same.

Apart from thrillers I find most modern novels full of first world problems and angst - they always seem to me to have been written specifically to be discussed in book groups where people discuss whether or not they like the characters (as in would like them socially if they were real). I don't think mine is the only book group that discusses books in the same way they discuss characters in a soap.

February's book is Mansfield Park, which I love, but I have a feeling that the discussion will be more Mansfield Street than Mansfield Park.:(

Rant over.

My U3A book group had become rather trivial, so I told them that I would like a more academic approach; not totally serious, but as I did with A-levels classes. One woman left, but we did manage it, with a few hiccups.

I felt a major boost when a very intelligent woman, still taking philosophy courses at 90, said how much more she got out of novels with my probing questions.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    PS re not finishing books - I once belonged to a Book Club which read very heavy duty stuff - including Salman Rushtie - dont think it went down well when I said that his work seemed to be all about a middle aged man indulging in extreme self pity!! And that I couldnt be bothered to finish such a boring book!!! :-)
    I read Midnight's Children some years ago. I found the first half gripping, the second half far less so but persevered. I don't understand stand how someone who can write so well can lose their way....or perhaps I just didn't get it?

I bought this book a while ago from the chaz for the princely sum of £1.75:

maeve-s-times.jpg

It's a compilations of her newspaper columns written over a period of time. I have read all her books which I love for their gentle, "away with the fairies" quality and am enjoying this even more, because it's far better written and shows off her wit. But as I'll never find another Maeve Binchy to read I am "saving" it: I have started to read it as and when I need a little treat in life, as each article is only a couple of pages I think I can spread the read out over the year.

Warning: Maeve Binchy is not for everyone. You'll either love or hate her writing.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • mumps
    mumps Posts: 6,285 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I read Midnight's Children some years ago. I found the first half gripping, the second half far less so but persevered. I don't understand stand how someone who can write so well can lose their way....or perhaps I just didn't get it?

I bought this book a while ago from the chaz for the princely sum of £1.75:

maeve-s-times.jpg

It's a compilations of her newspaper columns written over a period of time. I have read all her books which I love for their gentle, "away with the fairies" quality and am enjoying this even more, because it's far better written and shows off her wit. But as I'll never find another Maeve Binchy to read I am "saving" it: I have started to read it as and when I need a little treat in life, as each article is only a couple of pages I think I can spread the read out over the year.

Warning: Maeve Binchy is not for everyone. You'll either love or hate her writing.

I have read several of her books and loved them as they reminded me of childhood holidays in the 1950s when my father would take me to the village in Mayo where he grew up. Nostalgia can be powerful. I must have a look to see whatelse she has written.
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
  • mumps
    mumps Posts: 6,285 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Have you read "Small Island" by Andrea Levy? It might change your mind. There is some pre-and WW2 plot, but a lot is post war.

small_island_medium.jpg

I didn't like the BBC adaptation but I haven't tried the book. I might look out for it on my next library trip.
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Have you read "Small Island" by Andrea Levy? It might change your mind. There is some pre-and WW2 plot, but a lot is post war.

small_island_medium.jpg
    Yes, I read that one a few years ago, and really enjoyed it

But that's not the sort of book I was referring to in my previous post

It's was this sort of book I don't enjoy
    51y-rl9UwuL._SX315_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

As Mumps put it, Catherine Cookson rip-offs!
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd recommend Small Island. It's very sad in the way the Windrush immigrants were treated, compared to the way West Indians had been treated during the war.

I'm going to have another go at The Goldfinch now. I just couldn't get into it before.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure