Replies

• edited 7 January 2016 at 10:33AM
    moleratmolerat Forumite
    26.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 7 January 2016 at 10:33AM
    sacsquacco wrote: »
    Only BG undertake quarterly reads, its one of the reasons they have a big following from the old school users
    It would mean me effectively paying £95.50 a quarter for that read ! I will stick with reading my own every month and pocketing the difference thanks ;) BG are 41st on the comparison list.
  • edited 7 January 2016 at 10:47AM
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 7 January 2016 at 10:47AM
    molerat wrote: »
    It would mean me effectively paying £95.50 a quarter for that read ! I will stick with reading my own every month and pocketing the difference thanks ;)

I don t blame you Molerat, me too, but look around you and see how many in old age can t even get down, or up to see the meters and if they did, they would nt get up again. BG have a big following for that reason.Trouble is those suppliers who do nothing don t pass on the difference for a once every 2 year (if that ) reading. Sainsburys Energy, ( 5th cheapest fixed deal last week ) up to when Ofgem pulled the plug on cheaper white label tariffs last week, were up there with the cheapest in the country matching all these johnny come lately cowboy suppliers who come and go. I read for Sainsburys as well as BG and we come round every 13 weeks if the customer wants it. Sainsburys and BG =same supplier.
  • minislimminislim Forumite
    355 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    sacsquacco wrote: »
    Its on every BG/Sainsburys energy bill or statement that there are cheaper tariffs available elsewhere and within the BG structure. All suppliers have to follow Ofgems instructions to do this. None of them, including Ovo would do this off their own bat if they had a choice.
    I also have helped hundreds of people move to cheaper BG tariffs ( better than Ovos ) , mostly elderly or offline and they like meter readers like me to come round every 13 weeks or so to get to and read their awkwardly placed meters. I do a few for Ovo, they wont spend money on regular reads quarterly for the infirm and elderly. they will probably only show their face once a year if that. they won t want to knock their profits wasting money on meter readers. Only BG undertake quarterly reads, its one of the reasons they have a big following from the old school users

I get regular meter readers calling. usually more frequent than every quarter i'd say. must be just the area we live in?

as for BG bill telling you of cheaper bills this must only have been a recent addition. i've never seen it on any i've looked at.
  • Former_MSE_FraserFormer_MSE_Fraser Former MSE
    40 Posts
    Forumite
    Apologies for the dud link to the story in the initial post - fixed now. I'll be making the tea for the next week!
  • I joined sainsbury's with the collective switch last year. Such a shame that they won't be offering any more cheap deals as even though they are British Gas I found the call centre staff a lot easier to deal with!
  • Harria01Harria01 Forumite
    28 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    So ofgem are forcing bg to show their cheapest tarrifs avaliable inc sainsburys energy ones even if with bg. Bg have responded with alligning the sainsburys energy plans inline with bg prices!! My fixed end with se end of feb. I should of fixed onto the dec 16 tarrif but bow this has been pulled. So im in process of switching as dont want to end up on their variable which works out more than 250 a year more compared to cheapest tarrif available!
  • ConsumeristConsumerist Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I'm beginning to wonder if this move will kill off Sainburys as an energy supplier in the long run.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Gin, gee-gees & groceries

This week's MSE Forum highlights

Team Blog

2for1 adult tickets to theme parks

Via selected £1-£3 Kellogg's promo packs

MSE Deals