Stopping family members ceasing assets.

Options
A couple a months ago I over heard a plan by my Mum to try and cease my house, bank account and the right to be my sole carer.

This comes as no surprise because when I was younger from the age of 5 to 15 my Mum basically treated me as a cash cow because she would get disability welfare money to spend on Sky TV, Fags and whatever she liked.

Anyway later this year she tried to appease my idea of moving to Scotland but away from my Dad at the same time. I questioned her on the idea and she didn't get the kind of reply she was hoping for. Ever since then she has been acting up.

I want to know if there is any legal protection I can put in place to stop anyone from claiming I cannot lead a semi-independent life?

I am 100% sure my Mum has this on her mind so she can return to her previous lifestyle of scrounging about while I am trapped in a prison.

Comments

• HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'd tell her where to stick it.

Spend your money.

You said in a previous thread that you are saving a significant proportion of your benefit entitlement. What for?

You aren't supposed to save too much of it. If you save too much they'll take your benefit away. You were brought up on little as you said your mother spent it all before you got it so are used to living on very little but the benefits pay you to have an equivalent lifestyle to someone who works a minimum wage job so get out there and spend and enjoy yourself.

You can employ a carer of your choosing you do not have to have your mother as your carer.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • controversy
    controversy Posts: 470 Forumite
    edited 4 January 2016 at 3:00AM
    Options
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    I'd tell her where to stick it.

Spend your money.

You said in a previous thread that you are saving a significant proportion of your benefit entitlement. What for?

You aren't supposed to save too much of it. If you save too much they'll take your benefit away. You were brought up on little as you said your mother spent it all before you got it so are used to living on very little but the benefits pay you to have an equivalent lifestyle to someone who works a minimum wage job so get out there and spend and enjoy yourself.

You can employ a carer of your choosing you do not have to have your mother as your carer.

My Dad is my carer and I also have a community center in 1 min walk away where there are lots of people who can help me on a regular basis.

I save 10k a year to over pay my mortgage.

I am with first direct which enables me to do unlimited over payments on a fixed rate. There for I am not really saving but storing money as equity in a home which I live in.

I checked all the welfare rules & regulations and it says the home you live in doesn't count as income.

There is one exception and that is when you sell your home and haven't moved within 6 months. e.g. the money is still in your bank account from sale.

I know that if I save over £16,000 I won't be entitle to benefits and I thank you for reminding me that. To be honest I never let it come to that.

I am trying to get to the point where I don't have to worry about becoming homeless. Then I can actually start to live without fear and try and take a light weight job without loosing everything.

I personally am very annoyed with Ian Duncan Smith. He promises this Universal Credit which would allow people to work any amount of hours without it negatively effecting their welfare and it has taken almost 5 years and still it isn't ready yet. So frustrating!

Now that we have Help to Buy I advise every disabled person to get on the housing ladder. There are homes up north which can be had for less than £40,000. That means only a £2000 deposit is needed.

In my opinion disabled people should move to the cheapest most accessible area in the country.

I am actually doing the Government a huge favor because I don't get housing benefit and I must save them around £5000 a year.

The Government should push this agenda in my opinion instead of referring to disabled people as scroungers as they do indirectly. The housing benefit bill would go down and disabled peoples mental health would get better.
  • vlad
    vlad Posts: 544 Forumite
    Options
    Keep in mind that savings over £6k will reduce means tested benefits by £1 for every £250, personally I wouldn't like to live in any area where a house can be had for £40k, there are always reasons for those kind of prices.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You asked about legal protection. You situation may be classed as domestic abuse which also includes financial abuse, controlling and coercive behaviour. Check out the website of your local police force for more info or ring them on 101 for free confidential advice.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You asked about legal protection. You situation may be classed as domestic abuse which also includes financial abuse, controlling and coercive behaviour. Check out the website of your local police force for more info or ring them on 101 for free confidential advice.

New law came in about a week ago, right?
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/coercive-or-controlling-behaviour-now-a-crime
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A couple a months ago I over heard a plan by my Mum to try and cease my house, bank account and the right to be my sole carer.
    My Dad is my carer and I also have a community center in 1 min walk away where there are lots of people who can help me on a regular basis.

Can these people help you or direct you towards the right people? Do you have a social worker?

wiggywoo9 had to get the police involved to stop her mother interfering in her life - her story is here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4805353
  • fed_up_and_stressed
    Options

Financial abuse by carers would also potentially be a safeguarding issue for social services. However as the OP clearly has insight into his own finances generally I can't imagine the OP would gain any benefit from a current referral (happy to be corrected by any actual social workers who work in that field).
    Spelling courtesy of the whims of auto correct...

Pet Peeves.... queues, vain people and hypocrites ..not necessarily in that order.
  • controversy
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Can these people help you or direct you towards the right people? Do you have a social worker?

wiggywoo9 had to get the police involved to stop her mother interfering in her life - her story is here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4805353

I have a mental health therapist I can talk to whenever I need him.

I tend tell social workers to bog off most of the time. I might sound nice and friendly on the net but soon as someone is physically in my space I will treat them awful. I can't help it.
  • controversy
    Options
    Financial abuse by carers would also potentially be a safeguarding issue for social services. However as the OP clearly has insight into his own finances generally I can't imagine the OP would gain any benefit from a current referral (happy to be corrected by any actual social workers who work in that field).

I just wanna see if there is some legal construct I can use to tell a court that my mum by no means should ever be allowed to become my main carer. Spoke to my Dad about this and he is looking into it.

My mum can mean well sometimes but she has a habit of making me want to harm her and nearly did assault her last year.

I wouldnt wish my illness on anyone because my feelings slide from one extreme to the other. Its not some benefits street white dee thing where she says she is depressed then ok. No its a case of being paranoid then being violent then seeking attention then praising myself then wanting to harm myself and then thinking the end of the world is nigh.

im gonna take some risperidone then get too bed. laters.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,959 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you made a power of attorney for both health and welfare, and finances? These can include advance decisions about what happens to you should you lose the capacity to make decisions for yourself.
    https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney/overview
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure