Hidden debt from husband

Really in need of some advice. I've hidden from my husband that I'm in debt, it was accumulated before I met him and down to living beyond my means (on credit cards). I've been making the minimum payments each month and got it down to £8,000. Don't know how I thought I would ever repay it when I fell pregnant but my prayers have been answered and I'm getting £14,000 in redundancy money. I know I need to pay off my debts and get rid of this stress I've been living with every day. Now I've created another problem as I will have to explain to DH where the money has gone when we do come to use it (house deposit or something). I've told him I'm getting £10k so will need to find £4k somehow. What can I do? I can't tell him the truth as he will be so disappointed in me and I can't live with that :( thanks!

Replies

• edited 30 December 2015 at 7:59PM
    sourcratessourcrates Forumite
    26.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 30 December 2015 at 7:59PM
    Hi,

"The truth will be out" as the saying goes, just tell him you've settled some debts, I can't see the problem ?

Your already telling him lies, don't make it any worse, dosent say much for the relationship if this is how you treat each other.
    Ex MSE Board Guide.

More than a third of IVA`s fail....fact.
    Could A Debt Relief Order help you ?
    Never pay a fee for a Debt Management Plan.
    For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.
  • whitewingwhitewing Forumite
    11.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Why don't you sit hubby down and tell him the truth? That seems the most sensible option.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • If I tell him I will damage my marriage, he has been very clear about what he thinks of people with debt. Our relationship is also quite strained at the moment with a new baby. I am adamant I want to deal with this myself and not tell him.
  • Its a lot of money to try and hide, what if he ever found paperwork which said you got £13k and not the 10, would that not hurt him more! Tell him how you have managed it and why you didn't want to tell him you never know he might help you out. Good luck x
  • :-)

I've been here too. But you both need to take it head on. It's hard but will be harder otherwise.

Think it through and find the moment to discuss. I've been here too with the wife and could do something for both of us + family as soon as I knew.

I wish you the very best. You'll be ok. :-)
  • whitewingwhitewing Forumite
    11.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    But you are going from 'hiding' things from him to lying outright to him. Surely that is more damaging to your relationship?
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • elsienelsien Forumite
    29.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    One point for you to consider, is if you do clear it, will it still come back to haunt you?
    You've mentioned a house deposit - have you defaulted/missed payments over the years, and will this show up in future credit checks when you're looking at mortgages, for example?

I appreciate your concerns about telling your husband, but the debt is from before you met. How much worse do you think it would be for him to find out you lied about your redundancy and continued to mislead him?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • 5erge5erge Forumite
    105 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    What if your husband finds out you had this debt? Far better to tell him now, seeing as you have a means of paying it off.

My wife knew I had debt but I detailed everything in a spreadsheet, Apr, minimum payments, years left etc... She wasn't angry or anything but was happy I had a grip on the debt. I was very fortunate that I was in a position to pay the remaining 13k off in one hit last May, that was a great feeling.

Now you are in a similar position to me, have everything detailed with your plan to pay off your debt and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Des
    £0/£280
  • heucheraheuchera Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Pay it all off and put the remaining £6000 into a high interest account?
    left the forum due to trolling/other nonsense
  • bobobskibobobski Forumite
    771 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Chutzpah Haggler
    Forumite
    If hubby has made it clear he has an issue with people being in debt, presumably he is pleased for those people working to pay it off? You've made great progress and evidently without impacting on your lifestyle too much - if I were hubby I'd be proud, sad that you didn't want to tell me and keen to help pay it off.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals