Has anyone opted out of the £4 Sky Evening and Weekend calls and been charged?

cepheus
cepheus Posts: 20,053 Forumite
I distinctly remember opting out back in November, although I can't find the page to check if it's still unticked at the moment. Either way they are charging me £4. Anyone else got the same problem?

I'm also looking for the page to switch off voice-mail for mobile, perhaps you have to phone.

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    cepheus wrote: »
    I distinctly remember opting out back in November, although I can't find the page to check if it's still unticked at the moment. Either way they are charging me £4. Anyone else got the same problem?

I'm also looking for the page to switch off voice-mail for mobile, perhaps you have to phone.

Have you checked your current bill and future statements on My Sky? If so, give them a call,as it's free and you don't have to wait 5 minutes between responses, as with online chat.

What is voicemail for mobile from Sky ? I was aware that they plan to add a mobile service to their packages but not until 2016.

If you mean the 1571 answering service, I called and had mine cancelled and showing as such, instantly, on My Sky.
  • cepheus
    edited 1 January 2016 at 10:04AM
    teddysmum wrote: »
    Have you checked your current bill and future statements on My Sky? If so, give them a call,as it's free and you don't have to wait 5 minutes between responses, as with online chat.

What is voicemail for mobile from Sky ? I was aware that they plan to add a mobile service to their packages but not until 2016.

If you mean the 1571 answering service, I called and had mine cancelled and showing as such, instantly, on My Sky.

Yes it's on my bill, I think its the first month they are charging it due to a change in their T&C, and it's an opt out which I remember doing before December 1st.

I also recall phoning someone to activate the mobile automatic voice-mail, perhaps it was O2, because Sky didn't take over all aspects of their business. The Sky landline voicemail is not activated.

I will have to give them a call on Saturday.

Edit - Yes the mobile is still with O2. You simply dial 1760 to switch is off. That was painless!
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    They automatically transferred everyone unless opted out, as they said via live chat the other day.

I went into "My Sky" and I had the option to "subscribe" to the package, indicating that I had not taken the deal up...

Via Live Chat they have removed it, and refunded...
  • teddysmum
    Yes it's on my bill, I think its the first month they are charging it due to a change in their T&C, and it's an opt out which I remember doing before December 1st.

I also recall phoning someone to activate the mobile automatic voice-mail, perhaps it was O2, because Sky didn't take over all aspects of their business. The Sky landline voicemail is not activated.

I will have to give them a call on Saturday.

Edit - Yes the mobile is still with O2. You simply dial 1760 to switch is off. That was painless!

That is why you didn't find a link to cancellation on Sky's site.

I suggested checking your current bill and future statements (not bills, yet, as they may be paid for calls or film rental fees to add), to see if the charge is in all of them.

I opted to stay on Anytime and be transferred to Anytime Plus on December 1st. However, I was only charged the original £5 on the mid-December bill, but will pay £8 on the mid-January one, as the first month is on a trial basis at the old price.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    As soon as I got my letter in October I rang them and told then I didn't want to do the £4 monthly thing, Mainly because I have 500 free minutes on my mobile phone so didn't need it.
    The letter did say that it started at the beginning of December so I merrily kept using the free evening and weekend phone calls until 1st December I was horrifited to see in my late December bill that they had started charging me from the time of my phone call in October. I really don't mind paying for calls but the connection charge is outrageous.
    I complained as soon as I had analysed the bill and they refunded me the amount for the calls. I believe it was £15.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • teddysmum
    McKneff wrote: »
    The letter did say that it started at the beginning of December so I merrily kept using the free evening and weekend phone calls until 1st December I was horrifited to see in my late December bill that they had started charging me from the time of my phone call in October. I really don't mind paying for calls but the connection charge is outrageous.
    I complained as soon as I had analysed the bill and they refunded me the amount for the calls. I believe it was £15.

As I opted to go to inclusive mobile calls, I rang, near the end of November, to check that they started on December 1st and not on the mid-December billing date .

The call centre person told me I was already on them, as I hadn't contacted Sky about a downgrade, so I made a call to a mobile and was charged, but another call got an instant refund.
  • cepheus
    edited 5 January 2016 at 11:25AM
    McKneff wrote: »
    As soon as I got my letter in October I rang them and told then I didn't want to do the £4 monthly thing, Mainly because I have 500 free minutes on my mobile phone so didn't need it.

That's interesting because I tried to do the same thing, opt out in late November. Indeed I've since found the page in which I did this and the arrow which indicates the evening and weekend option is NOT highlighted in blue unlike the other arrows. Moreover, I'm also getting messages to upgrade to free Evening and Weekend calls for £4. However, elsewhere in the account that 'option' is most definitely still engaged and they are charging me for it. I've taken screenshots to prove it.

I spent 20 minutes onto Sky yesterday trying to get through by telephone only to be cut off, and 20 more minutes more typing to an 'expert' only to be told they have no access. Same for Twitter.

Surely it should be a simple enough job to inform the people with access to the account when the lines are busy? I've warned them I will stop my DD which is paid in advance tomorrow, lodge a complaint and leave unless they manage to fix their problem.
  • cepheus
    They automatically transferred everyone unless opted out, as they said via live chat the other day.

I went into "My Sky" and I had the option to "subscribe" to the package, indicating that I had not taken the deal up...

Via Live Chat they have removed it, and refunded...

Interesting since via live chat they claim not to have no access!
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    I've warned them I will stop my DD which is paid in advance tomorrow, lodge a complaint and leave unless they manage to fix their problem.

I wouldn't stop the DD - not that you can now if it's due tomorrow - as that will cause you far more issues than £4.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Sky Freephone 0800 028 7855 for anyone who needs it.

make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport