edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Water Bills
6 replies 1.6K views
toozie_2toozie_2 Forumite
3.3K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Water Bills
Hi
I wonder if anyone could give a bit of advice?
My elderly mother changed to a water meter in January of this year. She lives alone and her water usage was minimal.
Prior to the meter she was paying around £45 per month, we don't live close to each other and I just thought her monthly payments would be down to about £20 or so a month. She is not well off lives alone and since January has been using water sparingly ( no flushing etc!). I have been to see her recently and we had an overhaul of outgoings ( rarely she would let me do this) and although she has a letter dated january stating the serial number of the meter etc the direct debit has never been altered and she is paying £47 per month and not realising it should be less.

I contacted WW and they didn't apologise and stated they would refund £401 back to her account in 5 days (the credit balance on account) and have reduced the DD to £16 from not month.

Although obviously the outcome is okay now, but I was wondering if I should have pressed for some form of compensation for her, like a £20 credit or something? Or is this never done by water companies? It is mostly my fault as I should have reminded her to check bills and statements after the meter was fitted.

Just wondered if anyone had come across this, as the person on the phone sounded like it a usual occurance?

Thank you
:j

Replies

• edited 30 December 2015 at 4:54PM
    matelodavematelodave Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 December 2015 at 4:54PM
    They'll only give it back if you ask for it, otherwise it will get sorted out at the annual review (usually around April/May) and if not asked for will get credited to your account. A lot will depend on when they read the meter. Something you can do yourself and check your own bills.

Did she or you ask for the meter or was it imposed? I'd suggest that if you asked for it then you should have monitored it yourself. If imposed then you'll just have to wait until it's been read.

Why does everyone want compensation when they don't check their own bills.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The computer and/or accounts staff don't constantly monitor water accounts, otherwise the Direct Debit would be changing constantly.

They would not be aware if your mother lives on her own, or has a complete rugby team lodging!!

Also meters are only read once or twice a year and when they had got a pattern of consumption the DD would have been reduced.
  • toozie_2toozie_2 Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    She asked herself in January 2015 (or before it was installed then).
    She was paying around £45 per month then.

Welsh Water didn't adjust the payments, and she didn't realised when she got the direct debits and dates on the bill sent in April 2015, that the payments were going to continue at £46 per month.

She is now £401 in credit-I feel it's their fault that after the meter was fitted the direct debit should have been altered/reduced, or certainly when it was realised that she had a credit of £100's.

They are refunding the £401 today, and have reduced the DD to £16, and I will keep an eye to make sure this is enough.

What I'm really asking if would she be due a "gratia" payment for the fact that she has scrimped to make sure the monthly payments were met-when it was not necessary as the payments were wrong.

Is it worth writing on her behalf with a complaint for her, or am I wasting my time?

Thank you for the replpy
    3.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cardew wrote: »
    The computer and/or accounts staff don't constantly monitor water accounts, otherwise the Direct Debit would be changing constantly.

They would not be aware if your mother lives on her own, or has a complete rugby team lodging!!

Also meters are only read once or twice a year and when they had got a pattern of consumption the DD would have been reduced.

Ahhh okay that answers my question-thank you-just thought it would be a bit of a boost for mum=cheers
  • brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    ...Had a meter installed by Welsh Water in 2012 - they actually set up a reduced DD without me asking -reduced from ~ £63 to £30 based on the info. I'd supplied them with,when applying. Surprised at this thread UNLESS they have changed the application process ??
    I think they asked for number of residents,use of showers/baths etc and whether we had a pool or used sprinklers in the garden amongst other things.
    3.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    brewerdave wrote: »
    ...Had a meter installed by Welsh Water in 2012 - they actually set up a reduced DD without me asking -reduced from ~ £63 to £30 based on the info. I'd supplied them with,when applying. Surprised at this thread UNLESS they have changed the application process ??
    I think they asked for number of residents,use of showers/baths etc and whether we had a pool or used sprinklers in the garden amongst other things.

In my mum's case, they didn't reduce the DD from what she was paying, or if the usual system is that a new DD is set up with the info she gave them when she applied for the WM (lives alone-elderly) this didn't happen!

My fault really I usually try and help her with these matters and financial stuff, although she is very independent too!

Happy New Year!
    :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals