PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yippee - another instalment from GQHQ - can't wait!

I think I'm just not that bothered about my surroundings, I mean I know what I like and a lot of its to do with texture and light. I lived for about four years with bare plaster on the walls at my last house because I couldn't be bothered to paint until I'd had some other work done. That's why I've found it so easy not to notice piles of clutter!

Kboss this is what stops me buying those big bags of spices, they always look good value but I know I'd struggle to store them and it would take me forever to get through them. Don't they go off in storage? I keep my herb and spice jars lying flat in a drawer - I keep meaning to do something clever to stop them all rolling around, but I've found it the best way to store them. Spice racks never have enough room.

As long as you keep them sealed & dry, they last years. They just lose their flavour slightly over time.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :( Oh flippity, a back tooth has just come apart. This is a very brittle root-canalled one which can't be crowned so I expect to be kondo-ing the whole tooth before I'm very much older..... on the grand scheme of things, total trivia, just glad that's all I have to fret about.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    GQ is that a tin hat-box, or a box for a tin-hat?!
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    Floss wrote: »
    GQ is that a tin hat-box, or a box for a tin-hat?!
    :D The hat box itself is tin, my Dad keeps odds & sods in it, pretty old and quaint item he's had it all my life, no idea where it came from, I'll have to ask him at the weekend.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • Charly27
    Charly27 Posts: 602 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Oh GQ I'm so looking forward to some more random adventures from the homestead. Good luck with Kondoing the tooth. Thoughts are with those affected by the events in London. We just never know what life has in store do we? Read this today http://www.becomingminimalist.com/5-years-of-better/
    Which led me to google 'The Man Who Lived without money' Daniel Suleo I think. I resisted buying it even for my tablet and will try and reserve it at the library. I had read our very own 'moneyless man' several years ago. Interesting thoughts, especially about us all owning microwaves, computers etc. I went up to the allotment and Kondoed the raspberry canes, bit late but may still be okay as they are autumn fruiting, moved grass and moved the ties up my baby fruit trees. Will try to sow a few seeds tomorrow then off to stay with my Dad for a while to support him in next chemotherapy but I'll still be gently Kondoing. ((((Xxxx))))
    ‘One of our greatest freedoms is how we react to things’ said Mole.Cross stitch cafe WIP ‘The Best is yet to come’ Emma Congham & ‘A Year in the Life of’ HSC. TaDa Welcome
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    :) Thanks for that linkie, it's a blog I follow anyway but I hadn't seen this yet, brilliant comments, working my way through them now.

Just been packing the books which are going to the hometown into the wally-trolley and that's two-thirds full. I usual end up taking things to and fro in course of re-homing them at one end or the other. We're assembling a box of books to go to an Eastertime bootsale, all things I bought and have read off my to-be-read shelf.

Isn't easy to buy books so much faster than you can read them? I'm on my 26th book of 2017 but, even so, I can easily overdo the shopping side of reading.:rotfl:

Looking forward to seeing my folks, will be going to the shop with Mum as I've asked her if she'd like a plant (or two!) for the pots on her patio, and she seemed chuffed with the idea. We'll choose them together and I'll plant them out for her. Have also got her some choccies.;)
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • Charis
    Charis Posts: 1,302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Charly27 wrote: »
    Thoughts are with those affected by the events in London. We just never know what life has in store do we?

Thank you for those thoughts. We also don't often realise how close we have come to something nasty, but been spared. My eldest drives a tourist bus in London. He had driven along the route of the attack today, only twenty minutes before it happened. One of his mates was driving past as it happened, with two trainee guides on their first day on the job. They ended up stuck in a police cordon. Two hours later he was still stuck there, with his bus, having given the police a statement of what he had seen.

As I was reading on the news about what had happened I had a flashback. My sister in law in Melbourne was on her way to the shopping mall in January, which of course is high summer out there, when she saw an exhibition en route and stopped for a browse. In the shopping mall there was a very similar attack to today's, a bloke with a grudge, vague connection suggested by the news that it was somehow linked to terrorism but it turned out not to be. He drove up the pavement and mowed several adults and children down, killing four and injuring more than twenty. If SIL hadn't gone into the exhibition she would have been right there as it happened.

Only last Monday evening there was a shooting on a council estate in east London. A teenager was shot in front of other youngsters. My granddaughter had been in the same area of park where the victim had been until he rode off on his bike (which he was still on when he was shot). Fortunately he was out of sight when she heard the gunfire and she ran home.

I'm always amazed that some people actually reach 100 years of avoiding catastrophy, including a few of my relatives.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Charis both myself & boys and one of my brothers have avoided terrorist bombs by being delayed by just a few minutes - myself & young sons avoided an IRA bomb in our town centre in 1993 that killed 2 boys, and my eldest brother in both of the 2005 London incidents. Sometimes one is meant to be late / held up by other thngs.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    :) So glad your family are safe, Charis. The fragility of life is breath-taking, sometimes, isn't it? I know several people whose first-degree relatives have had narrow escapes with terrorist incidents and also with accidental catastrophes whilst just going about their daily commute/ holiday-making.

I'm waiting until my dentist's phone lines open at 8.30 am to call them about getting this disintegrated tooth sorted. I'm not upset about it (it was only a matter of time before this occured, I'd been warned). When a tooth crumbles when you're reading about terrible murder and suffering, I find myself counting my blessings that it's all I have to ruffle my personal pond today.

Off to work after speaking to the ole tooth-puller and continuing the project of using up the scrap paper and fragmentary pencil stash for note-taking during calls (goes thru shedder at shift's end but as my hand-writing is appalling, it would serve as well as cipher to preserve confidentiality).:rotfl:
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,433 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I feel sad and angry today about what happened in London yesterday.
    I think I will do some mindfulness today to try and calm my thoughts.

((Hugs)) to all.
    Charly27 wrote: »

Interesting comments on that link, thanks.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure