PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am putting easy-bend trousers on later because I`ll be on my knees a lot and am finally going to do a real kondo in my food storage area, a sideboard in my hall and I will be date organising too. I have far too many long term foods in there and I ignore them because they are out of sight. Any I will eat, will go into a basket, one I can dip into. Any other in- date packed foods will go into the food bank. Should be an interesting project
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    I seem to recall looking at Feng Shui when it first became a thing over here, it turned out that my house was facing in the 'wrong' direction or the front door was in an unfavourable place or something - nothing I could do about that! So it sounds as if you're off to a good start, Kittie. Some of it made sense, and I love mirrors anyway, but not the toads and so on. However one thing that stuck with me was the idea that if you get rid of stuff it creates space for something else to come into your life. I think that has proved true for me - and I don't mean just physical things.

I wish I had the sort of sensitivity to my surroundings that Kittie and GQ are describing above, but I don't. I have no clue about colour, decor or what looks right where. Most of my interior decor has been chosen by friends :rotfl:
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I started and already things are flowing into the part empty space in the sideboard, I am ignoring the resulting mess and overflow in my kitchen, hall and dining area. The right place for the few remaining stored food items will be in the kitchen, so I have to decant a used but seldom used item to a protective plastic storage box in the shed. That kitchen cupboard area will be my new food storage area

I never realised how much tea I have, I am talking about prime loose leaf, lots of good green tea and various herbal teas. I have upped my tea intake as from this morning and have enjoyed a lovely green tea, brewed at about 70 and steeped for 30 seconds in a clever strainer, ingenui, that releases the liquid when placed over a cup or mug. Will use the same leaves again later and then compost. Break over, will now put some music on, probably reggae as I like the beat, lol the words can be pretty rude though
  • Tea_Lady
    Tea_Lady Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi everyone
    Long time since I posted. I have been lurking in the background watching what you all are doing. Not sure about Feng Shui.
    You are all doing well. Weather it’s a bit at a time or my chosen method of bull in a china shop.
    Well how the mighty and smug fall. After telling you all at Christmas that I'd turned my house into a home in days.(And I did)
    Early January the building work started. One by one all my storage areas have gone or are going.
    First the garage was demolished, the garden bits and bobs from in there and the paint decorating bits went in to the small wooden shed. Which turned out to be rotten so went on to the bonfire.
    Things moved into the conservatory. While the garden was landscaped using the bricks from the garage. The conservatory was sold demolished and move on within 2 days the furniture and garage things are now in a bedroom.
    Footing started for my extension now mean I can't get on to the garden to work on that (plant things) my now small back garden is full of equipment, wheelbarrows, spades, piles of bricks and other assorted building things.
    Skip in the front garden/dumping place.
    I have a log cabin that arrived a couple of weeks ago that we can't get too because of other things in the way, and it full of insulation boards.
    My dining room has my washer plumbed in, the tumble dryer and freezer in there as they were in the conservatory before I sold it.
    Many years ago the pantry that was in the kitchen was boarded up and turned into a under the stairs cupboard of doom. I'm about to return it back into a pantry so all the stuff that is in there has to go somewhere. In the process I'm about to lose 6 cupboards in the kitchen.
    I know it will be wonderful in the end. I know I'm a spoilt brat for complaining.
    But I just needed to vent. So rant over. I'll take a deep breath and go and empty another cupboard into a box, label neatly and pile up in the bedroom that looks like a DIY store. Thanks for listening. I'll disappear back in to lurkdom now.
    Tealady
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    thrown out a pair of slippers.
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    you need to switch off for a while tealady, the flow will carry you forth. In the meantime, just keep developing inner calm

Cupboard is emptied, much will go to dds, several thrown out, like meal mixes bought ages ago and sweet sauces with sugar as the top item, think I bought it in lakeland, was carried away by the pretty packaging, before kondo started of course. Result continues in that the whole lot is sorted into new areas, including rubbish area. I did buy some excellent tin stacker rings from lakleand ages ago, green, so that tins can be stacked safely. Made the most of the space in the kitchen cupboard

I got annoying vibes from my shed now, too much dumped in there over the past couple of weeks and today. Need to get some energy back then will pop an anorak on and get in there. I want to go to bed tonight knowing the food and associated stuff has been properly done

It all started with that study
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have found myself eating rubbish over the last few weeks so decided to Kondo "me" by making sure I eat at least five portions of fruit and veg a day. Tonight will be chicken and roasted veg and I have already eaten a handful of cherry tomatoes, two oranges and three nectarines so looks as if today is on track.

Starting to tidy the bedroom and managed to put away a new suitcase and some books to go upstairs.

Upstairs bedroom has cluster flies so possible treatment has arrived today and I will use it later to hopefully get rid of them.

I also ordered a three step folding ladder with safety rails so I can replace light bulbs etc without having to ask dds or son in law.

I even made several phone calls to the hospital to make sure I do not miss my review appointment due to the change of address.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    elona we used to get cluster flies, nothing got rid of them, I drew lines with the correct insecticide etc, even tried meths to change their programming. We also got wasps, 12 in the bedroom when we moved in, orchard around us so wasps will always be close. We ended up getting fly screens on the windows. You can still see the occasional dead cluster fly because they will always come looking for a cosy home for winter. They come off the fields, after they have been ploughed. It was a heck of a shock when we first saw them, opened the window inwards and wham, hundreds of bluebottle- like flies, all at once. Good luck with them

I am done for the day now and the shed and I are friends again, all my food boxes are labelled, sharpie on paper and are forward facing, see at a glance. I have far more nuts than I knew but all were packaged in vac bags and the shed is insulated and always cool and dark, so they will be fine. However, I will not be buying any more almond or soya milk. I will make my own, like I used to do and slowly the stock will reduce

The study now looks as good as can be, until I reduce candles etc, now in the hall sideboard. I have done a lot today but it was only possible by having the ready empty spaces, enabled by past kondo`ing. I even folded one of my spinning wheels and put it back into its snug bag and assembled the inkle loom loitering in the bag, now on the desk and waiting for me to warp it up and to begin making a real effort with my weaving, in turn this will stash bust as I have cones of lovely yarn waiting in the wings and will make straps and edgings to start with. Phew!! did I say all that? :D
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lovely & sunny here today with a cold wind though! Kondoing in the garden - DH gave the lawn its first shave and then helped me prune back some of the shrubs. Green bin full so found another large bag and filled that too. Loads of violets dug up - they look so pretty but they're little thugs!Washed my lovely woven wool bed throw and line dried. DH has FINALLY got his trike started. He's replaced nearly everything he can but had been unable to trace the fault. He's put it all back and it started! He still doesn't know what the problem was though. First time I've seen him with a smile on his face for weeks lol.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • juliebunny
    juliebunny Posts: 1,705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ordered the Karen Kingston book recommended here. Thought this thread would help me have less stuff not more he he.

I'm hoping it will return greater rewards. I really need help getting rid of some family inherited bits. No value even to a charity and it's knowing they'll be recycled or landfill is the hard bit especially books given as family gifts and inscribed accordingly.....hard...
    Less stuff, more life, love, laughter and cats!
    Even if I'm on the shopping threads, it doesn't mean I'm buying! Sometimes it's good to just look and then hit the CLOSE button!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure