PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,389 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have had a few health problems so I am on a mission to make my house as easy to maintain and clean as possible. I am getting rid of a wardrobe and an old sofa and getting some built in storage fitted.

I also want my bedrrom repainted a nice colour, kondo the old paint!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Morning all.

Well, the Freezer Surprise meat item turned out to be a frying steak, so I fried it. In lard. Then I cooked some young nettles from the allotment and had them with butter over the top. And ate two salads and a handful of hazelnuts during the course of the day inc an avocado, and managed to be 1 kilo lighter this mornng than yesterday morning.

:j I love low-carb dieting, it's so easy.:j

Freezer is now half-empty, which means that some things which have been lurking are getting used and that there's also space for other things to come in. It's a tiny freezer, the kind known as a table-top model, but still very useful.

Totally agree with the person who remarked on allowing the stores to store your food. At one point, my Dad had to talk Mum out of buying an additonal freezer, over and above the fridge-freezer they already have. He pointed out that they are half a mile from a Liddle and a Sainsbug, and just over a mile from several other supermarkets. It took some doing (a major factor was also nowhere to put a second freezer) but she saw the wisdom of it.

Now, sometimes when they want a roast, they'll go to the shop, buy a chicken, and bring it home and put it straight in the oven. Saves shuffling the contents of the fridge to accomodate it and, with two cats, there's not usually any leftovers.

Yesterday I re-did my pal's shop window display and also kondo'd a rag-bag to a chazzer who takes them in, plus spent an hour working on my allotment, and shopped for healthy food.

Have a started another of the to-be-read books. I cannot tell you how much satisfaction I am getting from reading these 30-off books and seeing them move from the shelf to the pile which is on their way out. Some will go to the parental home with me this coming weekend, ahead of being offered at an Easter-time bootsale.

If they sell, they sell. If not, they can go for donation.

Hope everyone has a great Sunday, I'm having a lazy start to the day and then going gardening.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • tibawo
    tibawo Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mornin'all!

DD1 had her craft stall yesterday so the floor in the living room is clear again...yeah! We did come back with a few things but sorted them out into non perishables which fit into one small tub [already put away]and the sweets have gone in the tub to be consumed on the caravan holiday.

Not sure if doing any KD today. it is nice to take a day off once in a while !
    Go get it!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :D Some spontaneous kondo-ing of crockery just happened.

Clumsy moment putting a small dish back in a wall-cupboard and it leapt out in a bid for freedom, knocking over a mug on the counter on the way to the floor. I grabbed the mug and thought it was OK but it turned out to have two chips out of the rim, the little dish is in multiple fragments.

Both now in the bin.

It's quite rare for me to break any crocks or glasses, only happens a couple of times a decade, so to total two in one sitting is quite an achievement.:rotfl::rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    LOL GREYQUEEN

have just put the washing away all folded and I can see what there is now its stacked properly in the draws and hung in the wardrobes. really is wonderful.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    about the washing, old tractor, its amazing, me too, I always used to have piles of washed washing and I would take out what I wanted to use, so the pile got smaller that way

Yes letting the stores store food, such a good idea and I am wanting to do that, have to wait a while though, to get through my stores. Then again, I can always provide a meal for visitors and when going to dd, dh and I used to take food down as her fridge was always empty, too empty

A small kondo today but a relaxing one and am using a bit of fibre from my craft room. I need a relax day so am needle felting a fox and will shortly kondo a small bottle of tonic and a bit of gin too. I am loving the needle felting, easy with feet up and radio on
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I decided it was time to re-visit the shoes:( I have painful feet and ankles and not only can I no longer wear heels, I also need support around my ankles if I need to walk more than a few yards). Only 1 pair for the CS so far, but will be looking closely to see if they spark joy, but also am I ever going to be in a fit state to wear them again.

Whilst in the room of doom, which is bedroom 3 and was supposed to end up as a study/hobbies room when we came here 5 years ago, it has been a dumping ground ever since, made worse by my health stuff, I have outed sundry junk and would like to keep nibbling away at it if possible.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I made dds try on the shoes I stored in the attic, they now have flipflops, trainers, shoes and sandals until their feet grow again. Six pairs for dh's relatives in Africa, two pairs of snowboots for local charity shop (I'll wait with donating until October). The mice had been at the watershoes, so I had to throw those out, but nothing else. I'll have to kondo the box the shoes were kept in, though.

I have cleaned and rearranged the landing window sill and the tops of the book cabinets underneath; it's now much more spacious.

DH is with a potential buyer of our car, fingers crossed!
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I could cry!

DD has moved in with here BF, no problems there, I'm really happy for them. The problem is we have cleared her flat and she has asked me to store some stuff for her, there are 2 TVs, a very large green rug, a halogen cooker and loads of bedding.

I will keep the halogen cooker, mine is about 3 years old and will probably die sometime soon. I have recently bought 2 TVs and don't really want one in the bedroom. I have kept to a strict rule of 2 sets of bedding for each bed since having a good kondo of that dept, I suppose the ones she has given me should go to the CS. What to do with the almost new quilts and pillows?

So much for stuff going out, so much has come in over the past 2 days!
  • juliebunny
    juliebunny Posts: 1,705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I feel your pain Camelot. My spare room is stuffed with a family members stuff who emigrated until she comes back to sort it in September (cry)...but I sometimes also go in there to feel closer to her if I'm missing her....so not all bad....otherwise I just close the door.
    Are the items from your daughter a gift? I've given bedding to a local dog rescue.
    Less stuff, more life, love, laughter and cats!
    Even if I'm on the shopping threads, it doesn't mean I'm buying! Sometimes it's good to just look and then hit the CLOSE button!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure