who to approach under section 75

Options
When buying a new car I paid the £320 deposit on my visa credit card, the balance was taken on a 0% finance agreement over the next three years (black horse). The car was shocking - the dealer service too, but that's another story. My question now is who to approach under section 75 of the consumer credit act to get my money back. Is it Visa to whom I paid my deposit, or is it Black Horse who arranged the finance - or do I even write to both?

Comments

• TadleyBaggie
    Options
    Visa don't issue credit cards, banks and other financial institutions do. So you would need to contact whoever issued the credit card.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    When buying a new car I paid the £320 deposit on my visa credit card, the balance was taken on a 0% finance agreement over the next three years (black horse). The car was shocking - the dealer service too, but that's another story. My question now is who to approach under section 75 of the consumer credit act to get my money back. Is it Visa to whom I paid my deposit, or is it Black Horse who arranged the finance - or do I even write to both?

It appears you have two bites at the cherry.

You can take the matter up with your card issuer (not Visa itself) or Black Horse.

I think I'd take it up with Black Horse in the first instant because they would have more experience of dealing with this specific type of finance. And it seems fairer because the bulk of the finance is payable to them.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    How long ago did you buy this car?
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,555 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Over 3 years and you want your money back? good luck.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• ThumbRemote
    Options

They don't say it was that far back.
  • George_Michael
    Options
    They don't say it was that far back.

The opening post stated that the remaining balance for the car was taken over a 3 year period so the purchase was at least 3 years ago.
    the balance was taken on a 0% finance agreement over the next three years (black horse). The car was shocking
  • TadleyBaggie
    Options
    The opening post stated that the remaining balance for the car was taken over a 3 year period so the purchase was at least 3 years ago.
    No idea how you came to that conclusion, it could have been 3 year finance only taken out a few months ago.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    To save yourself a lot of hassle, get a car examined by a mechanic before handing any money over in future.

I didn't once, never happened again. I spent £3k on a car that sold for auction for £750 with a broken rear caliper 11 months later. We even bought a warranty, but had to pay £75 for an inspection (the same garage) and the list of exclusions was endless. Never bought a car from a dealer since. Would not buy a warranty again.My father told me warranties weren't worth the paper they were written on but the fine print was a book long. I read the large print only. Never again.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    He quite clearly says "over the NEXT 3 years".
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The original post said:
    ...the balance was taken on a 0% finance agreement over the next three years (black horse).
    ...indicating that the balance has already been taken.

If the original post had said "was to be taken", then it would not have been clear that the balance had already been taken.

Whether or not that is what the OP intended... who knows? :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport