New rules for claiming working tax credits self employed

Options

Comments

• FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    5 years is a long time for a business to still make no profit. After such a time, it becomes hard to believe it can ever become self-sustainable.
  • WillowCat
    Options
    If HMRC finds your business not viable for tax credits purposes then they can disallow your working tax credits.

You would be free to claim income support (as her carer) or for her to claim ESA. In each case it would be a joint claim.

You would of course be free to continue to run the business - on ESA she can apply for 'permitted work' while on income support you would simply pay back any profit earned each week which is over the disregarded amount.
  • Marktheshark
    Options
    Universal credit puts a boot straight through the non or low profit and live off benefits business plan, so considering a change might be better now for quite a few people.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    5 years is a long time for a business to still make no profit. After such a time, it becomes hard to believe it can ever become self-sustainable.

Some years ago, my husband had a small business and I remember his mentioning, way back then, that they could declare that a business which doesn't go into profit(given time) to not be a business.

It could be argued that the OP's wife sell on behalf of a charity, taking out any costs, as that would still be therapeutic.
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Is this just applicable to people claiming working tax credits?

I'm a self employed single mother, but I only claim child tax credits and not working tax credits. Therefore I've got nothing to worry about?
    Here I go again on my own....
  • fishybusiness
    fishybusiness Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    edited 29 December 2015 at 11:02PM
    Options
    Thanks to emmsie, great link, defines WTC requirements very well.

Back to the OP, this sums it up very well
    but it barely breaks even and she does not take a wage.

If you added a wage, your wife's business would not break even. It would be minimum national wage x no of hours worked each week. That may be about £5500 per year at 16 hours a week.

After 5 years she has shown the business is not viable, after all a business is there to make money.

Really, the business stands to generate WTC without generating legitimate income, which seems wrong, and HMRC should be stopping it.
  • NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Becles wrote: »

I'm a self employed single mother, but I only claim child tax credits and not working tax credits. Therefore I've got nothing to worry about?

I believe so :)
  • Darksparkle
    Options
    Becles wrote: »

I assume by that you mean you work less than 16hrs so aren't eligible for WTC?
  • AG47
    AG47 Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    Options
    Say you are investigated and found your not pulling your weight?

Is it a case of you are forced to stop trading, or do you get a warning to start working harder or you will be forced to stop trading and back on Jsa?

Or do you have to pay back some wtc?
    Nothing has been fixed since 2008, it was just pushed into the future
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family