Would you take the cash? Poll Discussion

Options

Comments

• toojohnny
    toojohnny Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    If it was one of the big supermarkets, I'd keep it for sure. Think back to when they have overcharged you, and even if you've spotted it, you then have to waste 10 minutes of your time sorting it. That's IF you notice it. And how much might they take out of your pocket on deals that are priced incorrectly and ambiguously. A worker in Tescoo on the customer service desk even believed that they make things unclear on purpose, and how many of us study the receipt afterwards (especially on a large number of items) just to check all was that it should be. Whenever there is a mistake in a shop 99% of the time it's the customer being short changed.
  • kittykitten
    Options
    I can totally understand why people say they'd keep it if it was a big money-grabbing supermarket, whereas they'd take it back to a small shop, but to me that's still wrong. It was an honest mistake, and it's the checkout staff who'll probably get a whole load of hassle for it when it's discovered they're £20 short.

I used to work on the counter for a high street bank (won't mention the name or that damn balck horse will probably try to kick me). The job obviously involved handling a lot of cash, inevitably, when we were busy, mstakes were made. Being short by a few pence was accepted, but we used to get an unbelieviable amount of grief from the management if we were short even a few quid. This is why I would definitely take the money back in the scenario, even if it was Tesco. I actually did return money in Sainsbury's once, I paid with a fiver, was given change from a tenner, only noticed when I walked away. The cashier at first said I must be mistaken, but when she opened the till and found a fiver in the slot where all the tenners should be, she was so unbeleviable grateful it made going back and it taking 5 minutes to sort out worthwhile!

Please, next time it happens to you, think of the poor cashier who's going to get falk for making an honest mistake if you don't take it back.
    OS weight loss challenge: 4.5/6 lbs
  • Gemini_Lady
    Options
    I am basically a very honest person and in a small shop etc I have always returned change when too much has been given me by mistake, but I seem to have to go to the Supermarket Customer Service desk everytime I shop because I have been overcharged! They make you feel really uncomfortable because of asking for errors to be rectified, sometimes 50p but has been about £25 overcharge on occasion! So for the items I have missed being overcharged I would not feel guilty on taking the £20.
  • ukstocks5
    Options
    mistakes cannot be rectified once you leave the counter. is this one of many establishments own rules that they throw in our faces once we realise we have been short changed by them, why dont it work both ways, it should.:p
  • chloebelle
    Options
    This may not be a very moral attitude but it is the truth - if it were a large supermarket I would think 'who cares? they have loads of money' and I would keep it!

However, if it were a small local shop I would give it back. For a family business, £20 is a lot of money and I would feel far too guilty.
    :eek: Total debt £21,000 :eek:
    Weight loss to date - 2 st, 2lb:j
  • ju-ru
    Options
    I work in a Supermarket and the cashier wouldn't have to pay the money back unless it was proved to be theft, which it wasn't.

Also, tbh, several cashiers use the same till throughout the course of the day and the tills aren't counted on daily basis so one person would not be accountable for the error.

You would only get in trouble if you had been put on a 'clean' till (ie, where all the money had been counted beforehand) and you were being watched. If this happens then they've already got their eye on you anyway as they think that you've already had your hand in the till.

We get people coming into the store asking, "has £20 been handed in?" when they haven't even lost anything in the first place! Just on the off chance that they'll get something - now that is bad!

Anyway, any money lost by the store will be claimed back by putting up prices or paying less to suppliers, etc.

Sorry for the waffle!
  • ju-ru
    Options
    I work in a Supermarket and the cashier wouldn't have to pay the money back unless it was proved to be theft, which it wasn't.

Also, tbh, several cashiers use the same till throughout the course of the day and the tills aren't counted on daily basis so one person would not be accountable for the error.

You would only get in trouble if you had been put on a 'clean' till (ie, where all the money had been counted beforehand) and you were being watched. If this happens then they've already got their eye on you anyway as they think that you've already had your hand in the till.

We get people coming into the store asking, "has £20 been handed in?" when they haven't even lost anything in the first place! Just on the off chance that they'll get something - now that is bad!

Anyway, any money lost by the store will be claimed back by putting up prices or paying less to suppliers, etc.

Sorry for the waffle!
  • descartesmum
    Options
    I'm shocked that 75% would keep it. But saying that I would give it back if I knew the cashier. If I didn't I would keep it. Why didn't we have that option? Huh?
  • emmaroids
    emmaroids Posts: 1,876 Forumite
    Options
    im more shocked by the 25% that say they would give it back :rolleyes:

yea right, theres a lotta liers on this forum i recon.
    No Unapproved or Personal links in signatures please - FT3
  • KevinG
    KevinG Posts: 1,867 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    emmaroids wrote: »
    im more shocked by the 25% that say they would give it back :rolleyes:

yea right, theres a lotta liers on this forum i recon.
    You cynic! There's no way I would keep £20, even if I didn't notice until I got home (and was sure of the mistake). Do unto others, I say.
    2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37° pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017 AND Feb-2022.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure