How to stop unwanted texts

Options
first78
first78 Posts: 1,044 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Im with Virgin and over the past couple of months I've been receiving texts from the number 66033. I haven't signed up to get these messages and I'm being £3 per text. The message says to stop the texts to text stop to the number...I did this a few weeks ago but have received another text!

Can anyone advise me how to stop this please as I can't afford these extra charges.

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • first78
    Options
    The info on that link doesn't seem very clear...is Virgin supposed to provide me with the contact number for the company that is spamming me? Do I have to ring the company to get them to stop texting?
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,163 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Depending upon your phone you can block numbers.

There is some advice on the site about whether to text STOP back; the gist of it is that it's good for bona-fide companies, but for rogue ones it simply confirms to them that you exist.
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Options
    There are several steps you should take.

Send the STOP message to unsubscribe from the service. Always do this when the message comes from a mobile shortcode. Do not block the number. If you block the number you will still be charged.

Complain to the service and request a refund. The very first message you received should have contained their contact details else use the number checker on the PhonepayPlus website to find those contact details. Their complaints line must start 01, 02, 03 or 080, else that's another breach of the regulations.

Complain to PhonepayPlus about the service.
  • first78
    Options
    I don't know how to contact the people sending these messages. I have deleted their previous texts. I did send a stop text but apparently that hasn't worked.
  • Ian011
    Options
    Complain to the service and request a refund. Use the number checker on the PhonepayPlus website to find their contact details. Their complaints line must start 01, 02, 03 or 080, else that's another breach of the regulations.

• prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,163 Forumite
    Options
    Ian011 wrote: »
    There are several steps you should take.

Send the STOP message to unsubscribe from the service. Always do this when the message comes from a mobile shortcode. Do not block the number. If you block the number you will still be charged.

Complain to the service and request a refund. The very first message you received should have contained their contact details else use the number checker on the PhonepayPlus website to find those contact details. Their complaints line must start 01, 02, 03 or 080, else that's another breach of the regulations.

Apologies - I missed the being charged bit!
  • Ian011
    Options
    Depending on the origin, the action you take will vary:

SPAM messages (from 07 mobile numbers) - report it, block it, NEVER reply.

Marketing messages (from mobile shortcodes) - send STOP, complain to ICO.

Premium rate services (from mobile shortcodes) - send STOP, complain to PhonepayPlus.
  • cookie365
    cookie365 Posts: 1,809 Forumite
    Options
    You should never block premium texts. If you do, you'll still get charged for them but you won't know why.

The charge is made when the text reaches your network, not your phone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure