Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Options:freeview/freesat/youview

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
27 replies 2.7K views
brownbabygirlbrownbabygirl Forumite
1.4K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
I just disconnected Virgin and want to go for subscription free TV. I am not allowed a dish in my building but not sure if this includes tv aerials? What would be my option to get freeview with recording without an aerial if not allowed by the landlord?
QUIDCO £2827 paid out since October 2007:D

Replies

• pappa_golfpappa_golf Forumite
    8.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    "if" you are denied an ariel , and very few houses do not have them , external or communal , then the alternate way is to get "freeview" channels via a internet box , ranging from a (legally) modified amazon fire stick @ £35 upto the top of the range ones at several hundred pounds , however you will need a reasonable un limited internet connection
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • thanks. i have also just seen the now tv box which requires no aerial or dish
  • VisionManVisionMan Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I just disconnected Virgin and want to go for subscription free TV.
    thanks. i have also just seen the now tv box which requires no aerial or dish

But does require a subscription. If an aerial is allowed, YouView would be your platform and box of choice.
  • almillaralmillar Forumite
    8.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Freeview only comes through an aerial. Other things are free to view. How about an internal aerial, after you have CONFIRMED that you're not allowed an external? Youview box would be ideal.
  • AndyPKAndyPK Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    freestat requires a dish, so that is a no.

Do you have a loft of your own ?
  • AndyPK wrote: »
    freestat requires a dish, so that is a no.

Do you have a loft of your own ?
    no we dont. now just waiting for the agent to get back in office to ask. it is annoying if they wont allow an aerial.
  • teddysmumteddysmum Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Depending on where you live and how close the nearest transmitter is (without obstruction) an indoor aerial could work.

Ours works fine and doesn't even need the supplied mains-run booster, but we are only about three miles from the transmitter; it and us being at the top of hills. It was bought from Argos and would have been taken back, if it didn't work.
  • teddysmum wrote: »
    Depending on where you live and how close the nearest transmitter is (without obstruction) an indoor aerial could work.

Ours works fine and doesn't even need the supplied mains-run booster, but we are only about three miles from the transmitter; it and us being at the top of hills. It was bought from Argos and would have been taken back, if it didn't work.

Our closest transmitter is 23 miles. sigh. very frustrating as i think technology has not really advanced so far if we still need to rely on aerials and dishes in this day and age:eek:
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    48.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eh? You think that a 70+ year old copper wire will provide a better TV service than a satellite or aerial connection? Distance to the transmitter is not the only factor, an internal aerial may work perfectly well at 23 miles.
    If you rely on reception via your broadband connection then you will require a) a line speed of around 3-4MBps and b) an unlimited data broadband tariff, as all your viewing will count as streaming data.
    Have you tried asking your neighbours what TV service they use?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • almillaralmillar Forumite
    8.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    brownbabygirl - nothing wrong with aerials and dishes. If you don't think that sending a TV signal into space, and back down again, into a dish is technologically advanced, I don't know what is!
    If you're not allowed an aerial or dish, ask your neighbours how they get TV and how the quality is. 23 miles is nothing, it's hills and buildings that cause the problem.
This discussion has been closed.