🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

fidget toys

Options
Can anyone recommend a fidget toy that is fidget proof!

I have tried tangle toys, these would be good but they come apart causing frustration as my son is unable to fix them.

The wooden ones you can buy get too tangled up within a day.

Those spiky rubber squeeze stress balls break within a couple of days.

He is not being rough with these items just fiddling with them too much :(

I have tried most things but everything breaks :( I don't mind paying for something as long as it lasts or if anyone could suggest something that is supper cheap so it doesn't matter if it keeps breaking.

Thanks

Susan

Comments

• iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Yes thanks I have looked all through ebay (same kind of things on there). I can't find anything on there that he has not tried (apart from kosh balls), so came on here to see if anyone could suggest anything they have a personal recommendation for .
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    Paper clips? Safety Pins? both very cheap and provide hours of 'fiddling time'.
    blue tack is also good if they like the 'feel' of it.

I assume you don't want something that will make a noise and get on YOUR nerves. my grandson would click a Biro for hours if you let him!
    will rack my brains a bit and get back to you.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Amongst favourites with our lad are a rope curtain tie-back, and a rope dog toy ;-)
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    edited 26 December 2015 at 7:58PM
    Options
    What about the Gummigems, they are designed to withstand babies chewing them so should be robust

I've only ever known people who have used the necklaces to stop little ones fidgeting while feeding but I can't see why you couldn't use them for older children as a distraction.

They do bracelets (including ones with tyre markings and 'dad tags' as well so not all girly (or is it just me that when I fiddle with stuff it goes straight to my mouth

http://gumigem.co.uk/shop.html
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,348 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Not a personal recommendation but these look tough http://fidgetland.com/shop/ and the clean bike chain in a length of your choice should be easy to come by.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    meritaten wrote: »
    Paper clips? Safety Pins? both very cheap and provide hours of 'fiddling time'.
    blue tack is also good if they like the 'feel' of it.

Those are the kind of things he will pick up and fidget with himself, he will pick up anything, he is never without doing something with his hands.

You are right perhaps I should just leave a bowl of these cheap items readily available (not the safety pins!), they don't last long but like you say they are cheap enough not to worry.

My main aim is to stop him picking up and fiddling with things that do matter if they get broken.
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    I was thinking of Worry Beads too. large packs of assorted beads can be purchased cheaply - and if you use a thread such as S-Lon - will withstand hours of fiddling without breaking. I don't know how old he is - but even quite young kids can string beads if the holes are large enough.

try this site - I have purchased from them before and they are very good.

http://www.beadsdirect.co.uk/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing%3EBeads%20Direct&utm_term=bead%20direct.co.uk&utm_content=Beads%20Direct
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    Some great suggestions thank you.

I had never thought of dogs toys next time I am near I pet shop I will take a look as I know you can get all sorts of things and they will be sturdy.

The items on fidgetland also look good and unbreakable.

I have tried baby toys as these are unbreakable but my son knows they are baby things and understandably does not want to be playing with them, he doesn't put things in his mouth so I don't have to consider that aspect.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I have tried baby toys as these are unbreakable but my son knows they are baby things and understandably does not want to be playing with them, he doesn't put things in his mouth so I don't have to consider that aspect.

You are fortunate - everything here ends up towards our son's mouth, he is very sensory seeking via his teeth!

Have you considered a Rubik's cube for your son? Endless fiddling with occasional good results :)
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family