PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Xmas "oops" moments thread

Options

Comments

• DigForVictory
    Options
    Rousing cheers for space captain Tim, our astronaut Up There!
    Not only does he not know his home phone number (called some lucky if deeply bemused female, just not his missus) but somehow forgot to schedule when to phone his parents so they were out when he phoned...
    Bless the man - it makes our earth bound miscommunications look as normal and dumb as they are, and adds a frisson of is he safe up there?!
  • Emmala
    Emmala Posts: 428 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    We have our Xmas dinner on Xmas Eve so lunch today was Smoked Haddock Chowder.......turns out I'd run out of veg stock and only realised when I needed to add it to the soup pot! Upside is that younger two kids now know what the word 'improvise' means!
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think I've accidentally thrown the gammon away... Hic
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • msgnomey
    msgnomey Posts: 1,613 Forumite
    Options
    lost the wooden spoon into the gravy
    forgot the pigsinblankets (in the 'fridge luckily NOT in the oven)
    hubby very low black dog on his shoulders :( his mum died in July and she always used to come to us, a few tears at lunch time :(

apart from that....marvellous!
    Go hopefully into each new day, enjoy something from every day no matter how small, you never know when it will be your last
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    After years of doing lovely Turkey Xmas dinners (thanks to Jamie Oliver) today's was a return to the pre Jamie days. I've been trying to make this a good xmas as we are due to be evicted on 5th January.., but somehow felt a bit 'can't be bothered' when it came to the dinner. I'd purchased all the ingredients but the oven decided it wasn't going to get to the right temperature so I think I dried out the turkey rather than cooked it. It took twice as long as it should have. By this time, dinner seemed to be a distant dream lol.

Thank god my ex (who's round for dinner) basically kept trying bits of the turkey until he found the legs were fine, moist and edible. The rest of it was tough and dry. I had got some gammon I'd cooked earlier in the week and frozen ready for Boxing day when I wasn't going to be feeling like cooking, so between us we still managed to make a good xmas dinner, if not quite as intended lol.

The dogs will be eating well for the next few days lol (just turkey meat, no bones).
  • Ches
    Ches Posts: 1,120 Forumite
    Options
    The oven went kaput on Tuesday but lucky for us a brilliant gent from the electric shop came on Wednesday and put in a new thermostat. I forgot to take the beef out of the freezer yesterday so we just had turkey today. Everything else went very well and the beef is now cooked ready for the weekend with the rest of the leftovers. Didn't get round to wrap OH present so he was given it in the M&S bag. Can't wait to get the house back together and clean but suppose I had better wait until Monday to take the trimmings down.
    Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot. :think:
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,407 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Dinner went well no problems
    But ...
    As I was finishing making the dessert I saw a mouse in the kitchen running across the floor. Aarhh!!
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • good_advice
    good_advice Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Excellent day with mum (me) mostly in charge of cooking.
    Champagne with opening the Christmas stockings.
    Lunch at 1pm. Turkey and ham. pigs in blankets, mini sausages. Roast potatoes and parsnips. Traditional veg all in the steamer. Yorkshire puds.
    The elf's did the washing up and then we had Christmas pudding or HM Apple crumble and cream.
    Delicious :0)
    The secret to success is making very small, yet constant changes.:)
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Rousing cheers for space captain Tim, our astronaut Up There!
    Not only does he not know his home phone number (called some lucky if deeply bemused female, just not his missus) but somehow forgot to schedule when to phone his parents so they were out when he phoned...
    Bless the man - it makes our earth bound miscommunications look as normal and dumb as they are, and adds a frisson of is he safe up there?!

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    bossymoo wrote: »
    I think I've accidentally thrown the gammon away... Hic
    :rotfl:
    :rotfl:

I cooked the stuffing then forgot to serve it , just as well as it wasn't stuffing it was a nut roast :o
    A bulb blew and took out all the lights , so we had candles until DH sorted it out :T
  • tessie_bear
    Options
    yesterday went swimmingly...today however we have a power cut and i have had to give myself a stern talking to for sheading a few tears over the fact my electric carving knife will be out of action....first world problems

tessa
    onwards and upwards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family