Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Fibre Broadband Vs Virgin Media Broadband

Hi-hoping for some advice.
We are with Virgin Media. All good, however like many others have received the letter with the price increase and so I am looking at other options.

Previous experience with broadband has been with EE (dreadful-very very slow) and Plusnet (OK but still had problems quite slow at times), but Virgin Media is soooo much better than broadband through the phone line (from previous experience).

My question is-Has internet speed got better in the form of Fibre Broadband and is Fibre Broadband comparable to Virgin Media?

Husband and I are not heavy users-no streaming films/games. Not even Netflix lol.
It's mainly YouTube, surfing websites, checking social media that kind of thing. So we don't need upload/download speeds to be amazing but I don't really want to be waiting for pages to download either.

Any advice?
Thanks you!
Respond to every call that excites your spirit.

Replies

• AndyPKAndyPK Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    Forumite
    What an excellent question, and one I am considering too.

If you goto

http://www.sky.com/shop

Put in your post code I think they will give you a minimum speed for fibre.

The cheaper package is upto 38Mb. I don't get that with virgin in the evenings!

And you will save over £100
  • giraffe69giraffe69 Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Any area that has fibre connected will (easily) give you what you want so it is only a matter of finding the best deal for both price and service.
    You can try https://www.samknows.com to give detail of speeds and available suppliers.
  • jem16jem16 Forumite
    19.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    purply wrote: »
    My question is-Has internet speed got better in the form of Fibre Broadband and is Fibre Broadband comparable to Virgin Media?

Speeds are better with fibre but can still be subject to issues with phone lines and how close you are to the cabinet.

Virgin does not have those same issues but some areas do suffer from congestion which can lower speeds. If you're currently with Virgin you will know if that's your area or not. What package are you on and what speed do you usually get?

You could of course cancel with Virgin and wait for Outbound retentions to phone with a better offer.
    AndyPK wrote: »

Whereas I consistently get around 73mb on my 70mb connection at all times of the day.
  • OblivionOblivion Forumite
    20.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic
    Hi-hoping for some advice.
    We are with Virgin Media. All good, however like many others have received the letter with the price increase and so I am looking at other options.

Previous experience with broadband has been with EE (dreadful-very very slow) and Plusnet (OK but still had problems quite slow at times), but Virgin Media is soooo much better than broadband through the phone line (from previous experience).

If you've been getting good results with Virgin my advice is to stay with them despite the outrageous price increase. I'd rather pay for a reliable service that switch to some of the rubbish services that rely on a decaying phone line infrastructure.
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 14th year of leisure
    I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
    Bring me sunshine in your smile
  • BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Ambassador
    49.2K Posts
    Ambassador
    had Infinity fibre broadband for 2 years with no stability or speed problems, on fibre to the cabinet
    I'm a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Shopping and Freebies, Phones and TV and Over 50s boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing . All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • purplypurply Forumite
    391 Posts
    Thank you-I have just signed into my sky account as we have TV with them and they are offering fibre broadband for half price (£5) for 12 months (plus line rental £17.40). That would be about £15 less that what I would be paying Virgin Media when the price increases. So thanks for that!
    AndyPK wrote: »
    What an excellent question, and one I am considering too.

If you goto

http://www.sky.com/shop

Put in your post code I think they will give you a minimum speed for fibre.

And you will save over £100
  • purplypurply Forumite
    391 Posts
    This is the dilemma!
    Oblivion wrote: »
    If you've been getting good results with Virgin my advice is to stay with them despite the outrageous price increase. I'd rather pay for a reliable service that switch to some of the rubbish services that rely on a decaying phone line infrastructure.
  • purplypurply Forumite
    391 Posts
    Thanks for your reply. I'm on the superfibre 50 package. I think I will ring Virgin Media in the first instance anyway. Sky are offering a good deal (in their offers to me when i checked my account) so hopefully I have some leverage...
    jem16 wrote: »
    Speeds are better with fibre but can still be subject to issues with phone lines and how close you are to the cabinet.

Virgin does not have those same issues but some areas do suffer from congestion which can lower speeds. If you're currently with Virgin you will know if that's your area or not. What package are you on and what speed do you usually get?

You could of course cancel with Virgin and wait for Outbound retentions to phone with a better offer.

Whereas I consistently get around 73mb on my 70mb connection at all times of the day.
  • AndyPKAndyPK Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    Forumite
    New customers get that deal too.
  • jem16jem16 Forumite
    19.2K Posts
    Forumite
    Thank you-I have just signed into my sky account as we have TV with them and they are offering fibre broadband for half price (£5) for 12 months (plus line rental £17.40). That would be about £15 less that what I would be paying Virgin Media when the price increases. So thanks for that!

The £5pm offer is with a capped download of 25gb. Unlimited fibre is £10pm.

I would be very surprised if you didn't get as good an offer to stay with Virgin although you may need to actually cancel to get it as that is when the best offers always appear.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals