MSE News: Npower fined record £26m for 'chaotic' complaints handling and late bills

in Energy
9 replies 1.6K views
Npower has been ordered to pay a record £26 million fine for 'unacceptable' billing and complaint failures...
Read the full story:

'Npower fined record £26m for 'chaotic' complaints handling and late bills'

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• victor2victor2 Forumite, Ambassador
    6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• ConsumeristConsumerist Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Co-op Energy - hope you've taken note of what may be on the horizon for yourselves.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • londonTigerlondonTiger
    4.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    lets hope this doesn't result in more late billing to recoup losses for these fines.
  • brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    7.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Co-op Energy - hope you've taken note of what may be on the horizon for yourselves.

...if they get fined they will go bust:)
  • ConsumeristConsumerist Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    brewerdave wrote: »
    ...if they get fined they will go bust
    They probably wont be fined as much in absolute terms but I think they could be fined up to 10% of turnover. According to <Citizens Advice>, Co-op Energy had out-and-out the worst complaints stats for the latest quarter.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • chanz4chanz4 Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The germans will sell them, they have already shed other uk business eg UW. There main issues are sap , management and TATA consulting who are world class at messing bills up
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    MoneySaving Newbie
    The boss of EDF stated a couple of years ago he expected Npower and Eon both to go bust.
  • davidgmmafandavidgmmafan Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to meet this man and shake him by the hand. Who is now going to investigate and fine Ofgem for the glacial speed of their investigation?

This is getting on for FIVE YEARS since the problem surfaced and what has happened since then? Other suppliers have also changed billing systems and had massive problems. Surely even our softly softly regulatory approach would require that basic tasks like billing are carried out to certain minimum standards?
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
  • I took this to the Ombudsman who said to them twice to give me £100 and sort out a repayment plan with me (ignoring the fact that it was NPowers error even then). NPower 'forgot' to take the money for the repayment plan apparently and demanded over £1300 so I took them back to the Ombudsman who have closed the case after telling them again to sort out a repayment plan which I did not accept as an offer as they ignored it the first time! So the Ombudsman, it would appear, is tight with NPower in ignoring what they do wrong. They are even being rude to my MP now who got involved at my request as she agrees with me!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

NS&I to change Premium Bond prize rate

It will rise to 1.40% from June

MSE News

Compers of the MSE Forum:

Show us the prizes you've won recently

Join the MSE Forum discussion