Cat proofing the garden

Options

Comments

• noelphobic
    noelphobic Posts: 2,297 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    meritaten wrote: »
    as it happens, my own cat is trained to stay in our back garden - next door often dogsits her sons two highland terriers. but, even though Barney COULD get under the gap in the fencing - he doesn't because I spent months training him where his boundary was.

How did you do that?
    3 stone down, 3 more to go
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For goodness sake a cat won't go into a garden where there is a blooming great dog, both my neighbours have large dogs and the cats that live around us know that our garden is safe but they do walk along the fences, I'm sure just to torment the dogs.. cats are very intelligent.
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • noelphobic
    Options
    tanith wrote: »
    For goodness sake a cat won't go into a garden where there is a blooming great dog, both my neighbours have large dogs and the cats that live around us know that our garden is safe but they do walk along the fences, I'm sure just to torment the dogs.. cats are very intelligent.

I have heard of cats being savaged by dogs. I'm not sure I'm prepared to take the chance.
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    tanith wrote: »

But the cat might be in the garden (especially if it's been used to going in their previously) and the dog is let out

Not worth the risk - at least the dog owners have informed the OP

Cat proofing the garden would seem sensible - I know a lot of people have used ProtectaPuss with excellent results http://www.protectapuss.co.uk/
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    GwylimT wrote: »
    No, they just have to make sure their dog cannot get out of the garden. Yes cats have the right to roam, but they do not have the right to be protected from gardens with dogs, if an owner doesn't want their cat being attacked by a dog they prevent the cat having access.

That's right ^^
    meritaten wrote: »
    then we must agree to disagree Gwylim. I read the law on cat owners and dog owners responsibilities differently. you may be right in the strict letter of the law - But -
    They may be on a sticky wicket as they have informed the new neighbour that they know THIER dog is aggressive.

Many dogs will behave entirely differently on 'their patch' than they do out and about - if the owners have ensured the garden is secure and no-one can access it then they're met their responsibility
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • noelphobic
    Options
    But the cat might be in the garden (especially if it's been used to going in their previously) and the dog is let out

Not worth the risk - at least the dog owners have informed the OP

Cat proofing the garden would seem sensible - I know a lot of people have used ProtectaPuss with excellent results http://www.protectapuss.co.uk/

Felisafe are local to me and have a very similar system. I have been quoted £500 for parts and labor.

I would also have to arrange/pay for a new fence panel, some foliage to be cut back and a tree to either be removed or cut down to a stump.

I have a single storey flat roofed extension and I don't think the price included protecting that in any way, so will have to check.
  • basill
    basill Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

After losing a third cat to a road accident we installed Felisafe netting.

It was relatively easy to install and there have been no escapes, although one local cat likes to sit on a fence post outside the net and taunt the inmates.

B
  • lindze
    lindze Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    noelphobic wrote: »
    Felisafe are local to me and have a very similar system. I have been quoted £500 for parts and labor.

I would also have to arrange/pay for a new fence panel, some foliage to be cut back and a tree to either be removed or cut down to a stump.

I have a single storey flat roofed extension and I don't think the price included protecting that in any way, so will have to check.

Have a look at secure-a-cat, I fitted my own with help from a friend and the whole system cost £180 for 24 square metres. It was time consuming but a lot cheaper to than paying for fitting. They were very helpful and talked me through everything.

I too have a one storey extension but my cat doesn't seem to be bothered and has not tried to scale it, but every cat is different.

The other good thing re the secure-a-cat system is that the brackets can be dropped down (without totally removing them from the fence) so you can lower the system if it snows or you need to paint fences, gardening etc.
  • noelphobic
    Options
    lindze wrote: »
    Have a look at secure-a-cat, I fitted my own with help from a friend and the whole system cost £180 for 24 square metres. It was time consuming but a lot cheaper to than paying for fitting. They were very helpful and talked me through everything.

I too have a one storey extension but my cat doesn't seem to be bothered and has not tried to scale it, but every cat is different.

The other good thing re the secure-a-cat system is that the brackets can be dropped down (without totally removing them from the fence) so you can lower the system if it snows or you need to paint fences, gardening etc.

Fitting it myself is not an option - changing a light bulb taxes my DIY skills!

Somewhat relieved to hear your cat doesn't try to scale the extension. Is he/she much of a climber generally? Tilly jumps on top of doors, onto wardrobes and she was on top of the shower cubicle recently! Having said that, in most cases she hasn't jumped straight from the floor but has used furniture and fixings as stepping stones.
  • lindze
    lindze Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    He will jump on top of the wardrobe but uses the bed as a springboard. The first day the cat proofing was up he climbed up the fence and then 3ft of trellis but cat proofing kept him in.

I have heard that after a few attempts to escape cats will just stop trying so hopefully it'll be okay. Just keep anything the cat could climb on away from your extension as I think 6 ft is the average jumping height from a standing start?

I am a non diy'er too...it was ever so easy but a bit fiddly and took a whole weekend but not too bad for a couple of girls with no skills in diy.

Securacat does have fitters so maybe give them a ring. It's run by Roz and she is lovely and helped me no end.

I understand why you would like it sorted though as my cat was killed by a fox and found him in next door's garden minus his head (the reason for cat proofing for my remaining cat). So the whole argument that your cat won't go next door because of the dog doesn't hold true in my experience.

I would post up some pictures of the system I bought but I have no idea how to do that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure