Cat proofing the garden

Options
I've just got new neighbours. They have a bull mastiff and have told me that if my cat goes in their garden it will go after her.

I'm considering my options and have been looking at this

http://catfencing.org.uk

Has anyone used them and\ or does anyone have a similar system?
3 stone down, 3 more to go

Comments

• ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think the cat will have enough sense not to go into the garden.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Probably will walk along the wall/fence to torment it.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We have a home made version of katzecure, we have never had an escapee, but we did have an intruder that couldn't get out with a little help.

I do know a few people on a cat forum who have used them and been very happy with their service, but again you can do it yourself which is cheaper.

There are lots of people on petforums.co.uk in the catchat section who could show you theirs and share their experience.
  • Aldeney
    Aldeney Posts: 429 Forumite
    Options
    We have a Secur-a-cat fence and have had it up for about 7 years. We have lots of dogs in our neighbourhood so it's a confort that our cat is completely safe when he goes outside. We wouldn't be without it.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Some cats are stupid,though.

I know someone with a number of site hounds and a local cat used to often play chicken among them. It used up its nine lives very quickly, having some very near escapes.
  • lindze
    lindze Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We have the secureacat system too. Excellent...no escapees and no intruders.
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    your new neighbours are moving in and they know you have a cat and THIER dog is likely to be aggressive towards it? isn't it up to them to secure the garden so the cat cant get in? considering that cats DO have 'the right to roam' in this country?
  • noelphobic
    noelphobic Posts: 2,297 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    meritaten wrote: »
    your new neighbours are moving in and they know you have a cat and THIER dog is likely to be aggressive towards it? isn't it up to them to secure the garden so the cat cant get in? considering that cats DO have 'the right to roam' in this country?

I wish you were my neighbour!

I don't think the dog gets taken out for walks, although I can't be sure, so going out in their small garden may be the only exercise/fresh air it gets.

I don't think it's left out in the garden much though.

Either way I don't think they're going to be of any help.
    3 stone down, 3 more to go
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    meritaten wrote: »

No, they just have to make sure their dog cannot get out of the garden. Yes cats have the right to roam, but they do not have the right to be protected from gardens with dogs, if an owner doesn't want their cat being attacked by a dog they prevent the cat having access.
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    GwylimT wrote: »
    No, they just have to make sure their dog cannot get out of the garden. Yes cats have the right to roam, but they do not have the right to be protected from gardens with dogs, if an owner doesn't want their cat being attacked by a dog they prevent the cat having access.

then we must agree to disagree Gwylim. I read the law on cat owners and dog owners responsibilities differently. you may be right in the strict letter of the law - But -
    They may be on a sticky wicket as they have informed the new neighbour that they know THIER dog is aggressive.

and yes, I would take steps to ensure my cat (under those circumstances) stayed out of next doors garden.
    as it happens, my own cat is trained to stay in our back garden - next door often dogsits her sons two highland terriers. but, even though Barney COULD get under the gap in the fencing - he doesn't because I spent months training him where his boundary was.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure