misleading orange

Options
yaacov81
yaacov81 Posts: 343 Forumite
First Post
i checked up my orange bill online and got a bit of a shock.
almost £10 for wap usage.
y the shock u may ask. well i was of the opinion that wap and gprs was free because i received the following with my last bill

" as a pay monthly cust , orange will be giving u the freedom to explore a wide range of info and entservices on your phone, inc orange world and other mobile internet sites. from april 8 all phones on your account will have unrestricted access to mobile services, inc adult entertainment"

now to me this looked like the stuff was free. the words 'freedom' and unrestriceted' were the key words here.

i contacted orange who have told me that this was not free but they were just informing me that this service was available and that i had misunderstood.

when i asked what it was that was new from april 8th since as far as i was aware i had the 'freedom' of these services already she wasnt sure but suggested that the adult content was what was being referred to.

anyway as far as i am concerned this is a very misleading message on my bill. she was very reluctant to allow me to speak to anyone else but eventually said she would get someone. incredibly there was no one available so she told me that someone will call me. i wont hold my breath - i will have to try again later.

anyway thought i would warn the rest of you orange users about this.
am i correct in misunderstanding or am i the stupid one?

Comments

• mike_wall15
    mike_wall15 Posts: 208 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I would have thought they were referring to the adult entertaining bit, and not free WAP access...

I guess it may trick some people with the wording...

However, if they said something like "from now on all our orange phones will have the freedom to make calls abroad" would you think that meant free calls abroad?

:cool:
    ** Mobile Phones.... I'm here to help **
  • GeoThermal
    GeoThermal Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    I think it's misleading and would write to them about it.
  • Jon_C
    Jon_C Posts: 465 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think it's misleading.

Having a passport means you have freedom to travel abroad. That doesn't make it free from cost!

Let's be realistic - companies rarely give things away for free and when they do, they state it clearly and make a huge fuss about it so everyone knows.

Don't mean to slag the OP but he/she did ask what we thought.
  • blinko
    blinko Posts: 2,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i think you have mis udnerstood mate, just pay up and dont make the same mistake again because in reality you managed to !!!! up on this one, geothermal you would write to them i hope you dont think that it was free to!
  • bbb_uk
    bbb_uk Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think its misleading either as it specifically didn't mention free. I think they were just referring to WAP content
  • GeoThermal
    GeoThermal Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    blinko wrote:
    geothermal you would write to them i hope you dont think that it was free to!

No need to be sarcastic! ;)

I stand corrected but I took it the same way as the OP. If I know I have full access to a service already and the company suddenly sends a communication saying they are giving me the freedom to try the services unrestricted from a certain date I would initially think they are offering something over and above what I already have. I would confirm with them if they didn't specifically use the word free.

For example if I have to pay a toll on a bridge day in day out and I get a letter saying that from a certain date I can now have full unrestricted access to the bridge that would suggest that something has changed, ie that the toll has been dropped as paying it is a restriction. If it meant I still have to pay then why make an issue of "from this date" if the service is actually no different on and after that date?

I just think the text can be taken the wrong way and as such I would drop a letter to Orange mentioning it. They "might" as a courtesy refund the £10 or at least mention in future texts that it is unrestricted paid for access.
  • lofty_2
    lofty_2 Posts: 423 Forumite
    Options
    im new to the orange network but i wouldnt have thought it to mean free wap/gprs, if you think that with https://www.orange.co.uk/try they are already giving you a months free gprs (well 4mb free) i wouldnt have thought they would run 2 similar promotions at the same time.
    Nice to Save. To save it's ____
  • yaacov81
    yaacov81 Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Jon_C wrote:
    I don't think it's misleading.

Having a passport means you have freedom to travel abroad. That doesn't make it free from cost!

Let's be realistic - companies rarely give things away for free and when they do, they state it clearly and make a huge fuss about it so everyone knows.

3 mobile info is free so i just assumed that orange were following them

another thing is that given all these services were avaiable already y did it give a particular date from when i would be receviging this 'freedom'
  • andy88_2
    andy88_2 Posts: 3,676 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Freedom is not free. And as lofty points out, there is a free Try for a month for various services - also for international calls (£5 worth), or roaming use. It would hardly be necessary to promote this if these were free all the time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure