Royal Mail failed to redeliver item five times and refuses to apologise.

Options
I ordered a large item from an eBay seller and because I work part time knew I’d be the house until 3 on the day it was delivered. Unfortunately it didn’t come in time and I got home to a card saying delivery was attempted at 3.05 p.m. (typical…). I don’t have a car so couldn’t get the item myself but I thought I could simply get it redelivered.

The first time I filled in the online form and selected the next available delivery day. Waited all day no sign of the item and then when it failed to appear the next day I called Royal Mail who couldn’t explain why it wasn’t delivered and told me to fill out the redelivery form again.

Well you can guess what happened the parcel didn’t come and I again called this time “it’d be sent out as a priority,” and again after a third day of waiting no sign. I was really fed up at this point and emailed with a complaint I received a reply telling me that again it’d be sent out as a top priority.

So now they’d supposedly sent it four times and every time the parcel didn’t arrive, I received no paper slip and they didn’t contact me to tell me that they couldn’t complete the redelivery.

Exasperated and after receiving an email from Royal Mail saying the item would be sent back to the sender within 4 days I called a final time explained the situation and tried to get an answer out of them for why they’d failed this far. They weren’t able to give a reason but again promised that the item would be resent. For the 5th time!

To the surprise of no one the item didn’t appear and when I called they refused to apologise saying that any issue I have with redelivery is with the sender and not themselves. As a seller myself on eBay I’d be furious if Royal Mail stated that to any of my buyers.

Supposedly the item has now been sent back to the sender; although tracking is still showing in the depo. Trying to communicate with the seller but understandably they’re not refunding me until the item is back. Hope this doesn’t become another issue :(

Comments

• w00519772
    w00519772 Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    edited 9 December 2015 at 4:08PM
    Options
    You state that they did deliver it on time. You broke your end of the bargain by not being in (that is not their fault). They agreed to deliver it at a different time and did not charge you, which I believe you should be grateful for. Maybe you should apologize to them?

It is nearly Christmas, meaning lots more deliveries for Royal Mail.

Sorry if I sound harsh; I am no fan of Royal Mail. However, I do not understand why you are so annoyed. They should be annoyed with you for not being in when you originally said you would be. You wasted their time.

Could you not ask someone else to pickup the item for your from the depot? Alternatively get a taxi or bus to the take you to the depot?
  • RachaelwithanE
    Options
    w00519772 wrote: »
    You state that they did deliver it on time. You broke your end of the bargain by not being in (that is not their fault). They agreed to deliver it at a different time and did not charge you, which I believe you should be grateful for.

Sorry if I sound harsh; I am no fan of Royal Mail. However, I do not understand why you are so annoyed. They should be annoyed with you for not being in when you originally said you would be. You wasted their time.

Could you not ask someone else to pickup the item for your from the depot? Alternatively get a taxi or bus to the take you to the depot?

I do think that's pretty unfair. I was in most of the day to receive the parcel and only by bad luck and their lateness that I missed it.

Why should I be grateful for them to re deliver the item when that's part of their service and yet they failed to redeliver it on 5 occasions.
  • RachaelwithanE
    Options
    You state that they did deliver it on time. You broke your end of the bargain by not being in (that is not their fault). They agreed to deliver it at a different time and did not charge you, which I believe you should be grateful for. Maybe you should apologize to them?

Also like I said the item was huge, the depot very far away and so it wouldn't have been practical to get a bus or taxi.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Given that RM (exc Special Delivery) is not a timed service you really don't have a leg to stand on.

If it makes you feel better I apologise on behalf of Royal Mail for the non-delivery

No move on, reimburse the seller for their wasted time etc and organise (and pay for) an alternative delivery method that suits you
  • Leo2020
    Leo2020 Posts: 910 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure why everyone is being so harsh on the OP. Maybe the OP didn't request that day and it was just that day when it was out for delivery and she happened to be in?

I order stuff online all the time and I usually don't know when it's gonna arrive. I am in most of the time but I can't be in all day 6 days a week in case RM decided to deliver. RM offer a redelivery service like most if not all couriers. RM then messed up 5 times, really that's acceptable? I used to be self-employed and if that happened to a parcel I had sent I wouldn't be best pleased with RM.
  • w00519772
    w00519772 Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    Options
    Leo2020 wrote: »
    Not sure why everyone is being so harsh on the OP. Maybe the OP didn't request that day and it was just that day when it was out for delivery and she happened to be in?

I order stuff online all the time and I usually don't know when it's gonna arrive. I am in most of the time but I can't be in all day 6 days a week in case RM decided to deliver. RM offer a redelivery service like most if not all couriers. RM then messed up 5 times, really that's acceptable? I used to be self-employed and if that happened to a parcel I had sent I wouldn't be best pleased with RM.

I was just surprised how frustrated the poster was with Royal Mail when they delivered the item on time originally. I was also just pointing out that it is nearly Christmas meaning more deliveries. I had something delivered recently - it was a few days late and I had to collect it from the depot.
  • RachaelwithanE
    Options
    Leo2020 wrote: »

Thanks it's comforting when someone sees your point of view. I am surprised how harsh people are being when this is the forum you come to when you need something off your chest.
  • RachaelwithanE
    Options
    I was just surprised how frustrated the poster was with Royal Mail when they delivered the item on time originally. I was also just pointing out that it is nearly Christmas meaning more deliveries. I had something delivered recently - it was a few days late and I had to collect it from the depot.

Well they were late as it was supposed to be delivered before 12, but come on how'd you like if I promised to deliver something to you and on five separate occasions I never showed up?
  • Leo2020
    Leo2020 Posts: 910 Forumite
    Options

Ok I know its Xmas but RM are paid to delivery stuff thats their job. Some people pay for delivery because they can't get to shops, meaning they also can't get to a depot. Paying extra to get a Taxi to depot because a delivery you paid for failed - I wouldn't, it would be like paying twice. Yes maybe a friend or family member but people have work and families so it might not always be easy for them to collect from a depot either. When I pay for a delivery I expected it to be delivered, if I pay for a timed delivery, as in the OP's case before 12 (although the OP didn't make that clear in their first post), then I expect that. If they can't do that I would expect them to redeliver at another time at the least. Not waste my time further by not turning up repeatedly.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well they were late as it was supposed to be delivered before 12, but come on how'd you like if I promised to deliver something to you and on five separate occasions I never showed up?

Have it delivered to your local post office is often the easiest
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport