How much to leave in business account

Options
I'm an event organiser of daytime events such as craft fayres, farmers markets etc. What started as a hobby grew into a full time self employed job. So my question is what percent of my profit do you suggest I keep back in my account to cover expenses? At the moment I'm keeping 10% back but I don't know if it's right.

Comments

• phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It all depends on your level of profit. If someone is earning £1000 pa profit, then £100 is probably not enough to cover expenses. 10% of a £10000 profit would mean £1000 in the account.

I would suggest that you were out your monthly commitments (mobile phone, accounting fees, etc) and times it by three. That means that if the push comes to the shove and you have a bad three months, then you know that your business costs are covered.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I keep about 3 months in a designated account to be used if we're short.

Generally it gets dipped into in January and June (slowest month and huge marketing/vehicle rental expenses in preperation for summer respectively), and replaced as soon as reasonably possible.

We are an events company, but music events rather than what you're doing.

Hope this helps.
    💙💛 💔
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You certainly want to keep sufficient in there that you don't inadvertently go overdrawn and get hit with large bank fees. In any case there is little point in shunting money in and out of a current account into savings accounts with such low interest rates.
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Options
    martindow wrote: »
    You certainly want to keep sufficient in there that you don't inadvertently go overdrawn and get hit with large bank fees. In any case there is little point in shunting money in and out of a current account into savings accounts with such low interest rates.

True re interest rates, but there's a lot of merit of having separate savings account(s) for tax, VAT, contingencies, etc., so that your finances are more visible, especially if you don't have decent book-keeping software that's telling you your running totals for taxes etc. Far too easy to "Rob Peter to pay Paul" when you've a lot of business transactions, and also easy to think you're making money when you're not due to liabilities etc building up in the background such as taxes.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    Do you mean line of business expenses, or annual overheads including corporation tax and accounting fees? The latter can very easily be well over 10%
  • Aquamania
    Aquamania Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    Options
    I'm an event organiser of daytime events such as craft fayres, farmers markets etc. What started as a hobby grew into a full time self employed job. So my question is what percent of my profit do you suggest I keep back in my account to cover expenses? At the moment I'm keeping 10% back but I don't know if it's right.

Why don't you know if it's right?

If you are saying you regularly are finding the amount left in the account is not sufficient to pay the expenses , then you are taking too much.

If on the other hand, you always have more than enough to pay your expenses, and the balance is ever increasing, and you'd like to spend some - go ahead!

But this really isn't the way to run a business. Seek expert advice/support on how to financially manage your business.
  • Charityworker
    Options
    Thanks for your replies.

It seems no matter what you ask on this board someone has to come n to have a go!
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    Who 'came and has a go'? I'm not sure I understand! I think you've had some very valuable comments rereading the thread :)
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Options
    Are you wondering about what to keep back for business expenses, or what to keep back for your eventual tax and NI bill?

You've been trading a few months now (not sure how long), so you may be due to submit a tax return by the end of January. I'd get that sorted sooner rather than later in your position.

(If you didn't start trading until April or later this year, you've got another year.)

Getting to grips with a spreadsheet where you can do 'what if' projections is definitely worthwhile!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport