Flo's Debt Free Diary

Options

Comments

• evkizzy
    Options
    Hi Flo. I've fallen off the grid this month. Just catching up.
    Congrats on the smoke-free-versary, the crazy amount of running and the temp job. Glad life has stopped being a meany to you. Don't let the paranoia get in the way of a good thing. You got this!
    Stocking up on tins is a good plan. Even when you have nothing you need a little fun (just be creative with spending as little as possible). We were invited to the pub tomorrow but have brought the pub to us by having friends over: byob style. Glad to hear you're doing better. :)
    Ev Kizzy Make £10 A Day August Challenge: £364.54/£310
    Loan: remaining balance £771/ £3,500 CCs: paid £194.76/£4436.75
    NST No.17 for August.
    SPC9 - #554
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Evkizzy,

I realised that my post about taxes may have been a bit upsetting to some people as what I see on here a lot is a lot of people have been harshly hit by HMRC. It's not perfect, they do sometimes greatly mess things up for people, what I was commenting on was me paying my rightful taxes based on the money I have earned. I hope I didn't upset anyone.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • Florence_J
    Options
    So guys I have been away due to busy, busy work, writing deadlines, computer updates and then computer failures due to the updates so I have some news.

I have a full time job.

Since last Tuesday I have been bombarded with job offers. My old job offered me a full time contract till next April, an Agency I had signed up to contacted me about a temporary job offer in south wales, the place I was currently working at wanted to keep me on longer, and today my friend contacted me about freelance work.

I took the job at my old job. The one till April. I had to slightly mess around the temp agency i'm with as I should have given a weeks notice which I feel bad about but I knew this job would go if I didn't take it (I start tomorrow)

I don't want to sound ungrateful, but it is far from the best job. It is in Bristol. I live in Cardiff. that means a 280 odd train fare each month, it will involve weekend, bank holiday and evening work. also the severn tunnel is closed so i am living with my in laws during the week otherwise i would have a 4 hour plus commute. also after all my bills i will have 90 quid disposable income each month which is a little low. but after three months of unemployment i couldnt turn down a job. i have actually been almost crying with anxiety over it. i hope it will be ok. i just feel like ill be putting my life on hold until it ends.
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Flo - blimey you have had it all going on. How did you decide between all the offers?
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Florence_J
    Options
    Hi Bob, there were a number of factors involved. I decided to go for the job I chose as I could pay into a pension plan, it was a guaranteed long term contract, and it would give me the most valuable skills if applying elsewhere.

I would also like to announce that today was my first day and the job looks wonderful. The team seem so kind, caring, friendly and hardworking and all my fears have been unfounded. I was worried about weekend, bank holiday and evening work-thinking I would have to give up football, work all the time and have no fun. It turns out that yes there will be evening and weekend work, but it is on a rota basis and will be occasional rather than all the time. And Bank Holidays equal double pay so now I am regretting the fact my contract ends before the easter and may ones.

So i am very sorry for being maudlin and ungrateful. all is good.
  • Florence_J
    Options
    As long time readers of this diary will know in April 2015 I decided to keep a track of every purchase I made.

As long time readers will know I love Spreadsheets.

At the end of September 2015 I decided I would do a 6 month data spreadsheet (April-September) and then compare it to the next six months (October-March).

The reason I do April-March is because of it being a tax year (and also I thought of doing this in March 2015 and therefore had kept no record of the previous spending :) )

I can confirm that between April-September 2016 I spent on average 30 quid less each month than I did in April - September 2015.

So now the obvious challenge is between October-March I want to spend 40 quid less a month than I did in the same time period last year.

This is very encouraging. I have the evidence to know that I have improved.
  • Bobarella
    Options
    Phew glad all is well on the job front after all. And well done on your challenge results.

• evkizzy
    evkizzy Posts: 128 Forumite
    Options
    I wish I didn't hate spreadsheets. It's amazing that you've managed to keep track of it all. Must feel incredible knowing that your good habits are paying off.
    Congrats on the job. I'm searching for one myself.
    Ev Kizzy Make £10 A Day August Challenge: £364.54/£310
    Loan: remaining balance £771/ £3,500 CCs: paid £194.76/£4436.75
    NST No.17 for August.
    SPC9 - #554
  • Florence_J
    Options
    Hi Everybody,

Not much to report. I am now eagerly awaiting payday, just like I used to. I'm not sure how much I'll get paid on payday as I started a few days into the month. I think I may have to use the dreaded CC this/next month and then I'll be back to living on 'real' money rather than debt money.

I am in a bit of a tizz, as I may be working Christmas Eve after previously thinking I didn't have to and this would be very, very bad as I have already bought the train tickets. Nothing is confirmed either way now, so I will be in a mild state of panic until I know which is certain.
  • Bobarella
    Options
    When will you know for sure either way Florence?

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport