CARDIFF : HA HA Bar or Slug and Lettuce?

Kez100
Kez100 Posts: 2,236 Forumite
I'm off to Cardiff with the family and have plenty of clubcard vouchers to use. The children are growing now and eat adult meals so, as long as children are accepted, I am thinking of using some of my vouchers for a late lunch at one of the two establishments above. Has anyone any experience of Cardiff and these eateries?

Comments

• Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hello Kez100

I'll move your thread to the 'Wales' board, where it should get more responses.

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Kez100
    No problem .
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ha Ha's is part of a franchise, very popular, freshly cooked food, quite pricey but good. All ages welcome, especially in the day; I would say "grown up" but not too intimidating. Fresh open feel, little sofas, tables and chairs, chunky wood, some food preparation in view. House wine is overpriced and not that wonderful, but if you avoid that you should have a nice time. Fish cakes and fish fingers are yummy, Bailey's latte is dreamy, but possibly not for family lunch! Here's a link to give you an idea of the menu:
    http://www.hahaonline.co.uk/pdf/menus/haha_food_menu_c.pdf
  • Kez100
    Thanks a lot. Menu helps me decide how many vouchers to get. We have to pay in full for drinks but won't be drinking as such, like you say.
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,198 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    there are lots of the restaurants that you can use your vouchers for available in cardiff; bella italia on st marys street, ma potters in the old brewery quarter (just off of st marys street behind hard rock cafe), yates on westgate street by the millennium stadium and harry ramsdens down in the bay.

dont know if that helps by widening your choices a little bit :D
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • Kez100
    I did find them but the other two seemed closest to where we are likely to be, I think.

You may be able to confirm : staying at Travelodge Central and going to New Theatre - eating at circa 4.30.

Second day going to Techniquest and eating circa 4.00 somewhere in between Techniquest and Cardiff Central station.
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,198 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    depending on what day you plan to use them....

haha and slug and lettuce are indeed closest to the new theatre, but cardiff is a compact city. unless you are going to a matinee performance it wouldnt take much more than 15 minutes to walk from st marys street, or 20 if coming from westgate street, so i doubt that going to somewhere further out would be that much of an issue

if you wanted to use your vouchers on day 2, techniquest is a 2 minute walk from harry ramsdens.

hope that helps, and any cardiff questions i can help you with just ask :j
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • Kez100
    Thanks a lot.

I do have a few :

Which 'voucher' eatery is closest to the Travelodge? Is the Vue Cinema at the Millenium Plaza an easy walk from the accommodation? Are taxis readily available? Is it possible to walk to Techniquest from Travelodge?
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The Vue cinema is a very easy walk from the Travelodge - like, 5 minutes or so down Wood Street and just your side of the river. Techniquest more of a challenge - OH would say that it was an easy 30 minutes, I would say rather more! However, you are very close to the bus station and the train station, eithr of which will get you to the Bay area or if you fancy a bit of a treat then the river taxi (from the river stop next to the Millenium Stadium, which is next to the Vue cinema and opposite the bus station) will get you to Cardiff Bay from where Techniquest is a much easier and pleasanter walk.
    Taxis are available outside the train station, on St Marys Street, from an office in Westgate Street which is Parallel to St Marys Street, and from an office adjacent to the bus station.
    If you get stuck away from the hotel then Dragon is (029) 20333333 - I think that this is the easiest to remember.

http://www.cardiffbus.com/index.html
    http://www.cardiffcats.com/
  • Jonbvn
    Jonbvn Posts: 5,562 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Using Wikimapia, aerial views of where you want to go are as follows:

Techniquest.
    New Theatre.
    Vue Cinema.

HTH!
    In case you hadn't already worked it out - the entire global financial system is predicated on the assumption that you're an idiot:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure