WANTED: My first contract phone

Options
BoltonMinx
BoltonMinx Posts: 1,382 Forumite
Hi all

Im a little bit daunted by the choice of contracts and cashback. Ive had PAYG for almost 6 years now but finally use my mobile enough to consider contract. Ive got a Nokia 3310i but would consider a camera phone. Also send about 10 texts per day and make about 10mins daytime calls and 5 mins evening calls. So not a heavy user, but would like to save on the texts really. Would be looking at about £10 per month if Im not being unrealistic!
"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

:A ~~~ S
pread some good Karma ~~~ :A

Comments

• jf2404
    jf2404 Posts: 471 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    £10 a month is kinda cheap. try https://www.!!!!!!.com , they normally have good deals and they display what everything costs and how much you save over the year etc...

good luck.
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    Options
    https://www.dialaphone.co.uk are pretty good too.

Don't worry too much about the cashback - you either get it automatically or you get vouchers to send back to them at 4, 8 and 12 months.

S_C
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    400 minutes and 300 texts and you're a not really a heavy user?!?!!? I'd hate to see you really giving it a go of being a heavy user LOL

have a look at the other deals on this board, maybe the links to Reestits site and see some of the deals with more mins etc., for teh minutes the subsidised '3' deals may be best but plenty of cashback deals out there that should bring it under £10 a month but for that amount you are limited for the usage you want
  • BoltonMinx
    Options
    Woby_Tide wrote:
    400 minutes and 300 texts and you're a not really a heavy user?!?!!? I'd hate to see you really giving it a go of being a heavy user LOL

have a look at the other deals on this board, maybe the links to Reestits site and see some of the deals with more mins etc., for teh minutes the subsidised '3' deals may be best but plenty of cashback deals out there that should bring it under £10 a month but for that amount you are limited for the usage you want
    When you put it like that! lol well, Ive used £5 or less a month PAYG for 6 years then started sending quite a few texts so thats probably where all my credits are going. I dont really need to make that many calls anymore as it jumped while I was looking for a new job.

Thanks for all your suggestions, will be trawling the shops in town to try out some handsets Ive seen then use Reestits site to get the cheapest price. Ive pretty much decided on Orange as my BF is on Orange too - its his fault Ive turned into a texting maniac :D
    "There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

• lee3276
    lee3276 Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    depends on what phone you want? 3 will offer 500 minutes any time any network and 100 texts for about £15 month half price for a year contract daily newspapers the sun & the mirror, then after a year ring up try to get the most out of them by saying you will leave, if they don't give you a good deal leave and get anthor deal from the papers
    Egg Loan £15000

Debt Free 1st August 2013
  • BoltonMinx
    Options
    Welll... Im not that fussed about the phone, my 3310i is actually O.K, guess id be happy with the cheapest deal. Not heard good things about 3 though :confused:

• Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    shame you missed the Virgin deal on the grabbit board the other day then if you aren't overly bothered about the phone, that was similar to the O2 online sims with 300 free texts as long as you topup £10 per month

the other option is to get a contract with Orange that fits your requirements the best, then if you aren't overly bothered with the handset then sell it off thus reducing the overall yearly cost, say a contract with a Nokia 6230 you could probably get £120 or so from Ebay or local free ads which is £10 off your bill per month
  • lee3276
    lee3276 Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    try https://www.dialaphone.co.uk they have many deals e.g,
    motorola c975 free + 500 minutes any time any network + 100 texts for £4.99 a month for 18 months
    Egg Loan £15000

Debt Free 1st August 2013
  • Umer
    Umer Posts: 419 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unfortunately Orange contracts are the most expensive for text bundles, so if you are not getting enough with the contract you sign up for you could be spending a lot more.

However, Orange do offer good texts deals for PAYG users if you decide to go with that.

If you top up £15 a month then you 3000 free evening and weekend texts a month.
    The £15 you topped up with can be used to pay for calls or text bundles that can be used during the day:

£4 = 50 texts (8p each)
    £8 = 150 texts (5.3p each)
    £12 = 400 texts (3p each)

And as your boyf is already on Orange you can get him to call you! ;)

Something worth looking at if you don't want the hassle of cashbacks, and happy with your current phone.
  • BoltonMinx
    Options
    oh wow, didnt think to do that :) I know this is a silly question but I can transfer my current virgin PAYG no cant I ? if so, it sounds like a sweet deal. Thanks a lot :)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family