IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking fine issued - Images/Penalty taken out of context

Options
mehtaman
mehtaman Posts: 16 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 3 December 2015 at 11:39AM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hi All,

This is my first post on MSE, I have done my best to read the Newbies post but it is a lot to take in all at once.

I've never has a PCN before, so I am in bit of a panic…

I was issued a penalty ticket last night (02/12/15) by UKPC for the offence of “Not parked correctly within the markings of the bay or space”.

The photographic evidence online looks as if I have just parked my car any old how but that was not the case, the ticket was issued after 9pm when the car park was emptier (I parked around an hour earlier).
The pictures are also very poor quality but it is also clear to see that the bay markings are very worn.

It does not show the fact that when I parked in the bay, the car on the left (a large BMW) was parked poorly and on the right is some bushes/shrubs.
I did my best to park within the lines but my car was crossing into another bay.

Is there any point to appealing this, is it possible to contest against the fact the lines are not clear and the images are not showing the reasons why I had to park how I did?

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    1. Remove your name from the 'appeal' above. This is a public forum, PPCs read them.
    2. Use the template appeal exactly 'as is' - don't go trying to add your 'story'.
    3. Send it to UKPC at around day 26 (if they accept appeals via their website or email), about day 21 if by snail mail. If posting, get a free certificate of posting from the PO counter. Don't just bung it in the post box.
    4. Keep all paperwork (including envelopes) from the PPC.
    5. Do not make any other contact with them, especially phone contact!
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    REMOVE your name and that ticket number NOW!

PPCs trawl this board to try and get identifying info to use against people - You don't want to hand them more reasons to give you grief!
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 3 December 2015 at 11:13AM
    Options
    Hold on, you can do much better than that, challenge signs, standing, losses, planning permissions, etc. Do not forget to remind them of their recent little difficulty with doctored photographs.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11858473/Parking-firm-UKPC-admits-faking-tickets-to-fine-drivers.html

Do not be hasty, you have plenty of time.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • mehtaman
    Options
    Sorry, pasted too much from Word!!!
    Personal information has now been removed, hopefully its not been picked up by anyone. :(

Thanks for the Telegraph link, I will take a look into that.

I will take some time before appealing to them.
  • mehtaman
    Options
    Are UKPC still barred from obtaining information from the DVLA?
    I noticed that in the Newbies thread this was the case in October, does it still stand?

Thanks again in advance.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Nah they are unbanned now (Nov 5th).

You should go back to the scene if you can and take your own pictures - get a better angle of where your car was, and of the signage at the time without flash. Their pictures will be deliberately framed to make you look bad - like you've just abandoned the car or blocked someone in.
  • mehtaman
    Options
    Just my luck!...thank you for the updated information.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,697 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    mehtaman wrote: »
    Just my luck!...thank you for the updated information.

Nah, they are easy to beat!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • mehtaman
    Options
    Update - Help needed!...

Following my initial post above, I then waited 28 days before appealing online.
    Since submitting my appeal, I got an email to confirm it was received but since I had no further communication from UKPC.

Today I received a letter from debt recovery plus (DRP) stating that I have 7 Days to pay £160.

What do I do now???

Why was there no notification of the outcome of my appearl prior to the debt collectors being notified?
  • mehtaman
    Options
    Just saw #4 in the newbie thread
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills