Help to Buy ISA guide

Options

Comments

• JayPeaBee
    Options
    Does the Help to Buy ISA apply In Scotland as well as England??

House buying rules are so different in Scotland but it seems unfair if the ISA doesn't apply?

Thanks
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Did you read the guide? Does it say Scotland is excluded?

https://www.helptobuy.gov.uk/
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,977 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Anything wrong with opening a HTB ISA now ie 2015-16 year. Leaving the £1k in it until April 2017 and then moving it over to the LISA?

Assuming that (a) can move quickly to get it opened online and money deposited before Tuesday and (b) won't wish to purchase first property before April 2017.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • beaumanor
    beaumanor Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    My daughter believes the Help To Buy ISA terms are changing soon (to be less attractive) which means it needs to be started within the next few days. I haven't found anything indicating any changes like this. Does anyone else know?
  • colsten
    Options
    No changes to the HTB ISA terms in the next few days, and probably also not in the next year or so. You can point your daughter at the HTB ISA site for details:

https://www.helptobuy.gov.uk/help-to-buy-isa/how-does-it-work/
  • darshRam76
    Options
    Can one transfer a H2B ISA to a normal Cash ISA? Also will the government bonus get paid if the property is paid for using cash rather than a mortgage? Thanks
  • colsten
    Options
    darshRam76 wrote: »
    Can one transfer a H2B ISA to a normal Cash ISA?
    I believe so, yes. Given the difference in interest rates between HTB and normal cash ISAs, nobody will be likely to want to do so.
    darshRam76 wrote: »
    Also will the government bonus get paid if the property is paid for using cash rather than a mortgage?
    No. https://www.helptobuy.gov.uk/help-to-buy-isa/how-does-it-work/
  • darshRam76
    Options
    Thanks for the quick response
  • catd87
    catd87 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Hello, can anyone tell me if I open a Help to buy ISA today, what is the maximum I can put in the account this month? Is it £1200 or can I put the £1600 to gain the £400 bonus?

My bank has reminded me that the current tax year ends on Tues 5th April. Am I better to wait till Wed 6th to open an new account or proceed before then?

Thank you all
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,977 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    £1000 opening deposit and £200 each month. So £1200 in this tax year.

You then have the option of adding upto £200 a month through 2016-17 or you could wait until April 2017 and transfer the £1200 to a LISA (assuming you are under 40).
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback