Help to Buy ISA guide

Options

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    hello there!

We previously owned a house outside the UK and have cash waiting on getting a credit rating *waves fist* so that I can get a mortgage. Can I get a HTB ISA so that I can get a better interest rate and just not ask the government for the money at the end of it? One bank says yes, one says no. Any ideas?
    The HTB ISA account opening process (with the leading provider at least) involves declaring that you're a first-time buyer so you can only do this if you're prepared to lie and face the consequences if found out.

There are many other places to earn 3-6% that wouldn't involve telling porkies, see http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/which-saving-account for details.
  • westcliffboi
    westcliffboi Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 14 March 2016 at 1:56PM
    Options
    Hi,

I started saving back into an existing ISA in November 2015 with HSBC as they were doing a 'save together' offer where I put in £25 a month and they pay £10, for 12 months. My question is if I continue to do this can I open a help-to-buy ISA on April the 5th and have both? Or do I need to stop paying into the existing ISA and/or close it?

Thank you.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,216 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi,

I started saving back into an existing ISA in November 2015 with HSBC as they were doing a 'save together' offer where I put in £25 a month and they pay £10, for 12 months. My question is if I continue to do this can I open a help-to-buy ISA on April the 5th and have both? Or do I need to stop paying into the existing ISA and/or close it?

Thank you.

You can open a HTB ISA on 6th April (not 5th), and start paying into that, but you cannot also continue to pay into your HSBC ISA.

How much will be in your HSBC ISA on April 5th?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,968 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Can a relative make the monthly payments to a HTB ISA?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,625 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi,

Thank you.
    Don't close it or you'll lose the £10 per month but you can't have both paid into at the same time. Pay in £300 to HSBC and take it out and you can then leave it there collecting the £10. Then open the HTB ISA as of April 2016 so you start in next tax year
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    Can a relative make the monthly payments to a HTB ISA?
    Yes they can. It might be easier if they make the payment into a current account held by the HTB ISA holder, and the latter then making the deposits into the actual ISA but there shouldn't be any clause in the T&Cs that prohibits the donor to deposit straight into the HTB ISA.
  • kernow60
    Options
    My partner is 60, has never owned a property and at the moment has no intention of doing so. Can he open a HTB ISA purely to earn the higher interest? I realise that he will not be entitled to the bonus.
  • JAGLJZ
    Options
    Hi, I am planning on building a home in the near future. My query is if i am eligible for the HTB ISA scheme?

Regards
  • Janey60
    Options
    Hi, I am new to this forum and wondered if anyone could please tell me if ex bankrupts are able to get the government bonus with the help to buy ISA. Or can ex bankrupts take part in any of the government help to buy schemes?
    Thank you for any help given
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,287 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    kernow60 wrote: »
    My partner is 60, has never owned a property and at the moment has no intention of doing so. Can he open a HTB ISA purely to earn the higher interest? I realise that he will not be entitled to the bonus.
    Yes.
    JAGLJZ wrote: »
    Hi, I am planning on building a home in the near future. My query is if i am eligible for the HTB ISA scheme?
    You would need to buy using a mortgage, which could be difficult unless you can find a bank that would lend you money secured on a building plot or something. I don't think banks currently tend to touch this sort of development finance.
    Janey60 wrote: »
    Hi, I am new to this forum and wondered if anyone could please tell me if ex bankrupts are able to get the government bonus with the help to buy ISA. Or can ex bankrupts take part in any of the government help to buy schemes?
    Thank you for any help given
    Your biggest challenge will be getting a mortgage. If you can do that then you should be ok.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback