We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

I want to Downgrade - Virgin Deals

I'm currently on the 4mb package, i want to change to 2mb paying £10 or the next 12 months.

Can anyone tell me if there's a huge difference between 2 and 4 mb? I have no idea about this kind of thing. :confused:

Comments

  • JAYMARSH2005
    JAYMARSH2005 Posts: 2,718 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I'm currently on the 4mb package, i want to change to 2mb paying £10 or the next 12 months.

    Can anyone tell me if there's a huge difference between 2 and 4 mb? I have no idea about this kind of thing. :confused:


    At the moment you will not really notice a difference, as even the higher end package (20 meg) is only getting a connection of 1-5 meg, so I doubt you would notice any change at all, unless virgin manage to fix the problems they have had since the 20 meg rollout, which I cant see them doing in the near future.
  • I'm currently on the 4mb package, i want to change to 2mb paying £10 or the next 12 months.

    Can anyone tell me if there's a huge difference between 2 and 4 mb? I have no idea about this kind of thing. :confused:
    You'll probably find the £10 offer is for new customers only .
    as even the higher end package (20 meg) is only getting a connection of 1-5 meg, so I doubt you would notice any change at all, unless virgin manage to fix the problems they have had since the 20 meg rollout, which I cant see them doing in the near future.

    The lowest speeds I get are about 15meg and thats around 6/7 pm when the internet is ats it busiest . I get over 19 meg after midnight .
    This is what I got at 8.15 today
    177156150.png



    Most of the speed problems on the 20meg service were down to the settings in Windows XP . A tutorial can be found here
    http://www.virginmedia.com/help/20mb-broadband-optimisation.php
  • msaquib
    msaquib Posts: 717 Forumite
    Hi,

    I have an Orange broadband. I have checked my speed and its coming up as:-

    988 kb/s for downloads & 245 kb/s for uploads.

    According http://speedtest.broadbandgenie.co.uk/ and my broadband speed resylts are:-

    Your speed test result:134.7 Kb According to BT wholesale, your line should be able to support a 3.4 Mbps ADSL connection via ADSL max



    Any reason why I am not getting the correct speed. I am on Orange Broadband plus package with livebox.



    Thanks
    MS
  • msaquib
    msaquib Posts: 717 Forumite
    Sorry just tried again and the results changed to:-

    Your speed test result:1.1 Mb According to BT wholesale, your line should be able to support a 3.4 Mbps ADSL connection via ADSL max



    Still low. Any reason? Thanks
  • msaquib
    msaquib Posts: 717 Forumite
    Anyone please?

    Thanks
    M
  • You'll probably find the £10 offer is for new customers only .

    I've been told that if I can get back to them either today or tomorrow and speak to sales and explain that I've been with them since September 2004 I have a good chance of getting the deal! :D :j
  • JAYMARSH2005
    JAYMARSH2005 Posts: 2,718 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    msaquib wrote: »
    Anyone please?

    Thanks
    M


    I know with Virgin the speed tests will run eratic results if you are using a router, At peak times you will get slow download but your upload will be higher, As its a bank holiday you will have a high usage so that will affect the speed tests you run.
  • bergy2
    bergy2 Posts: 387 Forumite
    I have just re negotiated from 4mb to 2mb and got talk unlimited and free tv and line rental at £20 min 12 months with no tie in - went through i want to cancel route and waited 10 mins to get a nice lady

    2mb gets exactly 2mb download speeds and 0.2 upload - don't notice anything different with surfing and slightly slower on downloading u tube etc

    They are talking of upgrading 2 to 4mb and 4 to 10 at some point anyway
  • peter999
    peter999 Posts: 7,102 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Most of the speed problems on the 20meg service were down to the settings in Windows XP . A tutorial can be found here
    http://www.virginmedia.com/help/20mb-broadband-optimisation.php
    Any idea whether this applies to slower 2Mb & 4Mb speeds ??

    peter999
  • peter999 wrote: »
    Any idea whether this applies to slower 2Mb & 4Mb speeds ??

    peter999
    You can use the TCP Optimiser and set it to 2 or 4mb and save the settings - see if it makes any difference !!!??? Wouldnt bother with changing the settings on the Network Card though (the first part of the tutorial)
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.