British Gas, inefficiency, lethargy or plain bad manners

Options
glen_moranjie
glen_moranjie Posts: 14 Forumite
edited 27 November 2015 at 9:41PM in Energy
A little background.

I worked for British Gas (Transco) for over 20 years.
I receive a BG occupational pension. (I am 68)
In 2010 BG installed my new CH boiler.
When the 2 year CHB warranty expired I took out a BG 'Homecare' maintenance agreement.
I called BG out once in 2011 that required a new flue fan. I paid the compulsory £99.00 charge.

This month BG informed me my Homecare renewal premium was going up by 25%

At the beginning of nov I contacted them to ask them the justification for such a large increase. I received the 'auto' email reply:-
" We’ve received your email and we’ll be in contact as soon as we can to resolve this matter for you."

With no answer I repeated my question on the 15th nov.
I received another 'auto' email reply.

So the end of nov and still no reply and just days away from BG taking the increased premium via direct debit.

Patience exhausted I have cancelled the direct debit explained why via another email to BG (which they will probably ignore.)

I shall now take my business elsewhere.

Most of my career at BG was in the 'old days' i.e nationalised
British Gas. What a sad state this once fine old company must be in ?

Inefficiency, lethargy or plain bad manners ?

Comments

• duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    So they were more expensive and you took your business elsewhere......

Did you expect them to do it cheaper because you are a BG pensioner ?

Not sure I understand your rant.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • glen_moranjie
    Options
    duchy said " Not sure I understand your rant. "

That's sad, I recommend Night school.

So after I posted here I cancelled my direct debit and with better manners than BG I explained why.

Guess what I got a call from BG today, I wasn't in but my wife took it. BG intend to call back tomorrow to apologise to me and offer me a 10% discount on the Homecare.

So they couldn't contact me in nearly a month but I no sooner cancel my account and then I get a call the next day !

I may or may not talk to them, haven't decided yet but they have lost this customer.
  • glen_moranjie
    Options
    Just to tidy this thread up.

I received a call this a.m from a customer manager at BG who apologised for not answering my emails (sent via my BG account login)

I explained that just as annoying as the rise in premiums was the fact my questions were ignored for almost a month until I cancelled the policy then bingo! I get a call next day.

As for the 25% rise in the premium for the coming year he referred to rising costs. 25% lord help us all if this is typical !

He then proceeded to offer me a 10% discount on this premium. I politely said no thank you and the discount offer increased to 15%

I again politely declined and ended the call.

Now an ex BG customer.
  • devon_guy
    Options
    You were lucky they offered you a discount! I have had a homecare agreement for 6 years. Got a cheaper quote via the AA. Phoned up BG to cancel, not even a hint of trying to match or lower my quote, it was just cancelled immediately, so off I went!
  • glen_moranjie
    Options
    This will not go away.

I'm now receiving emails from BG saying my DD has been declined and I own them £???

This after the Customer Manager confirmed he would cancel the agreement. The left hand obviously does not talk to the right hand.
    Farcical.
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Options
    And be careful now that they haven't also blacklisted you at the credit reference agencies for the missed payments. BG are noted attack dogs when it comes to shafting people's ability to get credit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure