Genologists Help Needed

Options
Is it possible to access the 1911 Census without having to pay anything?
Please?

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you tried your local library? A lot of them have a subscription to Ancestry.co.uk
  • Counting_Pennies_2
    Options
    Old_Joe wrote: »
    Is it possible to access the 1911 Census without having to pay anything?
    Please?

Yes, there are a variety of places you can go to access it.

You can contact your local records office, normally attached to your register office. They often have a subscription to Ancestry

Sometimes your local library will have access to a website. Find my Past is a subscription in my town's central library.

Hope this helps
  • Old_Joe
    Old_Joe Posts: 243 Forumite
    edited 26 November 2015 at 12:06PM
    Options
    Thank you very much for your not only prompt but very useful advice.
    I'll be off to our main library tomorrow.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Most sites will give you a free trial too. Just make sure that once you've signed up for it you've found/unticked the automatic renewal option.
  • Counting_Pennies_2
    Options
    Most sites will give you a free trial too. Just make sure that once you've signed up for it you've found/unticked the automatic renewal option.

I tried that and it was very limited information available, they then wanted you to pay to access the information
  • Counting_Pennies_2
    Options
    Old_Joe wrote: »
    Thank you very much for your not only prompt but very useful advice.
    I'll be off to our main library tomorrow.

Do check with your library before heading off, only some libraries offer the service.

Also think about your records/register office. When I visited their local offices I not only had free access to Ancestry but also they had the local records there, so were able to pull out lots of interesting newspaper articles, etc to link to the people I was doing my search for
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Most (if not all) Family History Centres will have a copy that you can access, some have a daily charge and some don't.

You can find your local centre here, remember if you are doing a lot of research it can always be worth joining your local centre.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I tried that and it was very limited information available, they then wanted you to pay to access the information

What you want and what's accessible, for free, will vary, depending on your needs. You really need to know what you're after, then sit on that requirement until there's a free day/weekend offering precisely that dataset.

For me, I'm currently enjoying maxing out a £1/month offer on the FMP site. I've not moved more than 3' from my PC for over 3 weeks now .... by the time my £1s up I'll have forgotten what the outside world looks like.

:)

But, I specifically didn't want the 1939 register details, or anything to do with the US, nor any war records.

It's all about familiarising oneself with specific data sets that are available and either accepting that you won't get stuff without paying, or just waiting ..... until .... the magical day.
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    You also might want to try your local Family History Society, the Genuki list for England is here.
  • wishus
    wishus Posts: 1,192 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello, I used up free trials in a few places with a couple of aliases. I like ancestry a lot, and find the search functions on genes reunited really limiting.

I would also advise you to look at familysearch. It's a site run by Mormons, but it's free to sign up and create a lovely tree or ring of your family, and there's more detail on the search results. I find it really useful for finding the catalogue number for certificates I want copies of, and if you have any relatives who emigrated to the US, you can usually find them for free on ships records, censuses, birth and death certificates on this site. You may not think you have any, but you'd be surprised. A load of people upped and left just before 1900.

A word of advice: don't just trust that someone with a common ancestor has got it 100% right. I was so happy to find my great granddad on someone's tree and used that to find relatives going back to 1712 - only to find I'd got the wrong fella in my granddad's spot!
    Back in debt again, but for a good cause. £17K to go

April Grocery Challenge: £228.36/200

Decluttering 856/2024 Awards 🥇
    (22/04/24)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business