Water meter - a quick question

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Water Bills
7 replies 2.6K views
Seamonster_2Seamonster_2 Forumite
79 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Water Bills
Had a water meter installed yesterday (Thames Water). The limited blurb I received suggested that they don't read them very often - I think it said it would be six months or more before they take the first reading.

So my question is: will I continue to pay my previous fixed monthly amount (£58) until they take that first reading? Or do they have some way of forecasting my usage before that time?

I was hoping to start saving money right away, rather than having to wait until they have real usage data on which to base my bill.

Replies

• JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    19.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did they not say they would estimate your usage and set a direct debit .
    Mine did and it was set meter reading first 6 months estimate second six month actual reading third six months estimate .
    You are at liberty to read your own meter .
  • MoneyMateMoneyMate Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your meter should be '0' to start, you should be charged only on what is used from now on.
    There are more questions than answers :shhh: :silenced:
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times :o
    :)
    :A UK Resident :A
  • JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Did they not say they would estimate your usage and set a direct debit .

Not exactly, the leaflet just says "We'll set up a payment plan on your new account based on your revised charges".

That's what I'm curious about - what will those revised charges be before they take a meter reading. I assume it'll be an estimate, maybe based on the size of the house.
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seamonster wrote: »
    Not exactly, the leaflet just says "We'll set up a payment plan on your new account based on your revised charges".

That's what I'm curious about - what will those revised charges be before they take a meter reading. I assume it'll be an estimate, maybe based on the size of the house.

Size of house is unimportant, generally it is number of occupants that determine consumption.

A ballpark figure is 50 cubic metres per person per year. If you contact Thames with that information, they will probably set up a DD based on that information - or you can work it out yourself from the charges on their website.
  • Cardew wrote: »
    or you can work it out yourself from the charges on their website.

I hadn't realised that info was available, thanks. Just looked and the ballpark annual charge they give for two people with average water use is £312, or £26 per month. I'd certainly be happy if ours is close to that.
  • deanosdeanos Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Uniform Washer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    take a reading now including decimals as it all wont be on zero (decimals with have reading on from when tested in factory) , read again in exactly a months time , x12 and this will give roughly what you will use, ring water co. with readings and they can adjust payments accordingly
  • For anyone interested in the outcome of this, the estimate for my first year on the meter came through: £14 per month!

I realise that will probably rise once they start taking readings, but for now I'm very happy with the £44 per month saving. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides