Storage heaters vs other heater

Options
Hello
I wonder if anyone could advise me.
I have bought a 1 bedroom top floor (3rd floor) older property (1965) of which i have had the old storage heaters removed only x 2 because they were old and inefficient.
I have phoned the electric company who have told me the lower rate tarrif for electric is from 1pm - 4pm at night and throughout the day i am on a higher rate than standard.
I am currently using oil heaters to heat the property but this is prooving expensive.
I am considering installing modern storage heaters with theromstat to make use of the overnight tarrif, or get the lower tarrif removed so i can be on standard rate electric and use alternative electric heaters.
I also have my hot water heated, but there is no timer or theromstat.
Has anyone got any advice or had a similar situation as its a bit of a mine filed.
Many thanks for any help
Emma

Comments

• Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,019 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    how many people in the flat?
    If it is only yourself, you could consider electric heated throw. Not the best solution, but cheaper than heater.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

Firstly I am not aware of any tariff that gives a lower rate for only 3 hours at night(you state 'between 1pm and 4pm' - I assume you mean am?

An Economy 7 tariff, as the name implies, gives 7 hours at off-peak rate. The times vary across the country but it is generally a 7 hour period between 11:30pm and 08:30am.

You are correct that there is a premium to pay on the other 17 hour's supply.

There is no question that storage heating is the cheapest method in all-electric properties. Although there are many dubious adverts that claim their heaters filled with some exotic materials are cheaper - they ain't!

As you point out you can heat your hot water during the cheap rate period, and depending on how your flat is wired have appliances such as dryers/dishwasher etc on overnight.

It is most important if you are on Economy 7 to find the cheapest tariff/company as there is a huge discrepancy in prices.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure