A silly question about my Nokia 3220!

in Mobiles
7 replies 762 views
ennnceeeennnceee Forumite
25 Posts
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
Hello, I've had this phone for twelve years and want it to last a lifetime, but realise it probably won't. (I've no wish to get a smart phone!)

Is there any way I can copy my saved messages (sent and received) somewhere, other than the old PC Suite? I've tried the latter, but can't seem to make a connection. I'd like to copy reminders and contacts, too, but it's the messages I'm most concerned about.

Also, the battery finally seems to be on the blink. Is replacing it a simple procedure and will I lose any data?

Many thanks

Neil
Filiss

Replies

• Neil_JonesNeil_Jones Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Batteries for this are the common Nokia 5B, you can get them for a fiver. The only thing you'd lose would be the date and time, easily set up after.

Re: the contacts, move them from the phone to the SIM card, then you can change the phone until the cows come home and they'll still be there.

This is how to do it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71n330MMRZU

The text messages can apparently be done by: Highlight the text -> Options -> Move to Sim Card.
  • Jon_01Jon_01 Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Neil_Jones wrote: »

The text messages can apparently be done by: Highlight the text -> Options -> Move to Sim Card.

But, from what I can remember, only 10 at a time.
  • ennnceeeennnceee Forumite
    25 Posts
    Many thanks, Neil and Jon. I'm probably missing the obvious here (for a change!), but I can't see where or how I would do that. It's possible to highlight on a phone this old?
    Filiss
  • Jon_01Jon_01 Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I remember trying to do this with my wifes 3320 years back. I know it was a right pain to do. None of the manufacturers (back then) even thought that anyone would want to save a text! So there was no simple way built in to do.
    There was some menu option that allowed you to save the message to the sim, but a sim will only hold 10 message, so if you have the phone full it takes an age! You also have to make sure that the new phone has a way to then move them off the sim into the phone.

I think in the end we gave up. She left the 3320 as a 'backup' of message to that date and just started a fresh with a new phone...
  • ballyblackballyblack Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Go thru the messages. If there is an important one just resend to a friends phone who in turn can forward back to you
  • ennnceeeennnceee Forumite
    25 Posts
    Thanks for the replies. So it seems that sending them to another phone is the only realistic solution. That'll take me to next Christmas! Still, if that's the only way...

Has anyone used the old Nokia PC Suite, by the way?

More silly questions now :)

What does the SIM card in this phone hold, is it just the number and (some?) contacts?

If I want to put this card in another phone, does it have to be the same model?

I presume that the only way to keep my number is with this particular card?

Many thanks!
    Filiss
  • Depending on what you need the messages for, could you point a video camera at the phone screen and scroll through all the messages? You'd have some kind of record that way
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

£10-£50 London theatre tickets

For over 45 shows in January and February

MSE Deal

Join the 1p Savings Challenge 2022!

It should help you save £667.95

MSE Forum