We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

BT to a debit card

Options
Anybody tried putting in a debit card number when doing an online BT?

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Haven't tried personally, but would imagine it would fail the BIN check?
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    BIN check?

I haven't tried it either, but it was suggested by somebody I met that used to work for a bank that it was sometimes possible.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Herbalus wrote: »
    BIN check?
    IIRC the first 6 digits of the card number denote the type of card, ie Visa or MasterCard and credit or debit (and also the issuer).
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Herbalus wrote: »
    BIN check?

I haven't tried it either, but it was suggested by somebody I met that used to work for a bank that it was sometimes possible.

Bank Identification Number. Yorkshireboy means the system would know if it's a credit/debit card and then be processed/declined accordingly.

For example AmEx cards start with 3, Visa 4 and so one.

Wonder if the person you met was referring to a Money Transfer?
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • Lou85
    Lou85 Posts: 135 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A BT can only be done to another credit card and yes it would fail the BIN check.

Your friend was referring to a money transfer which is possible with some providers however is not charged at the same rate as a BT therefore you would need to check with your provider to see if there are any promotions running for a money transfer.
    #27 £2016 in 2016 = £763.61

#42 £2 Savers Club = £160

*Savers Club not included in overall 2016 savings until the tin is opened and my estimates have been confirmed later in the year.
  • Superscrooge
    Options
    Tesco credit card will allow you to do a money transfer to your bank account rather than to another credit card, which is effectively the same as a transfer to a debit card.

I've tried to post the link below if it works

http://www.tescobank.com/credit-cards/money-transfer/index.html?cmpid=aff/acq/cc/35mt/dz/Dotzinc
  • Dan83
    Dan83 Posts: 672 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    ^^^With a 3.94% fee
  • Lou85
    Lou85 Posts: 135 Forumite
    Options
    RE the Tesco Card...make sure you apply for the money transfer card as not all cards offer the 0% money transfer option.

If you have an existing card or apply for a different card it's unlikely they can/will change the offer.
    #27 £2016 in 2016 = £763.61

#42 £2 Savers Club = £160

*Savers Club not included in overall 2016 savings until the tin is opened and my estimates have been confirmed later in the year.
  • thanks for the result
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    Options
    Am I missing something here? To Balance Transfer to a Debit Card which actually means BT to a bank account, you just pay off the balance with a debit card.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 237K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure