Cremation ashes scam?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Deaths, Funerals & Probate
9 replies 1.4K views
WoodpigeonWoodpigeon Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Deaths, Funerals & Probate
My brother sadly died a while ago. After he was cremated his ex-girlfriend (they had split up a couple of years before he died) and her friends tried to get me to hand his ashes over. I told them to get lost (there wasn't a will). Now I might be cynical but has anyone ever come across a scam with someone using ashes plus cremation certificate, maybe a fake undertaker's bill, to con the deceased's bank into paying them the funeral expenses (we paid out of our own pocket)? Interested to hear.

Replies

• glentoran99glentoran99 Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Couldn't happen, the executor of the will manages the bank account
  • SailorSamSailorSam Forumite
    22.8K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How could ashes help get you a loan ?
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • 74jax74jax Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't get how anyone could get money from a bank with ashes?
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you can get money from the TCCB for Ashes.
  • Yorkshireman99Yorkshireman99 Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Woodpigeon wrote: »
    My brother sadly died a while ago. After he was cremated his ex-girlfriend (they had split up a couple of years before he died) and her friends tried to get me to hand his ashes over. I told them to get lost (there wasn't a will). Now I might be cynical but has anyone ever come across a scam with someone using ashes plus cremation certificate, maybe a fake undertaker's bill, to con the deceased's bank into paying them the funeral expenses (we paid out of our own pocket)? Interested to hear.
    Did anyone apply for letters of administration to deal with his estate? A bank would only pay any funeral costs direct to the undertaker
  • MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    34.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woodpigeon wrote: »
    Now I might be cynical but has anyone ever come across a scam with someone using ashes plus cremation certificate, maybe a fake undertaker's bill, to con the deceased's bank into paying them the funeral expenses

When the bank asks for proof of the death, they mean a death certificate and maybe probate, not an urn full of ashes!
  • bolistonboliston Forumite
    3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mojisola wrote: »
    When the bank asks for proof of the death, they mean a death certificate and maybe probate, not an urn full of ashes!

:rotfl:Don't make me laugh like this while I'm sipping a single malt whisky!
  • I've never come across this, but I dare say some chancer might be prepared to try. As pointed out above, the deceased's bank will usually release funds to pay a funeral bill on production of the funeral director's invoice and an original copy of the death certificate. The payment would be made directly to the funeral director. It isn't usually necessary for Probate of Letters of Admin to be granted for this to happen.
  • G_MG_M Forumite
    52K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would you need the genuine ashes? Some old brass pot scrubbed up and filled with ciggy ash would do - the bank's not going to do a DNA test on the ashes is it.....??
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ultrafast broadband upgrades

Being made available to more English counties

MSE News

30+ ways to stop scams

Incl tips to spot 'em & what to do if you're scammed

MSE Guides

£37 of No7 beauty products for £12

Available online and in stores

MSE Deals