Cremation ashes scam?

Options
My brother sadly died a while ago. After he was cremated his ex-girlfriend (they had split up a couple of years before he died) and her friends tried to get me to hand his ashes over. I told them to get lost (there wasn't a will). Now I might be cynical but has anyone ever come across a scam with someone using ashes plus cremation certificate, maybe a fake undertaker's bill, to con the deceased's bank into paying them the funeral expenses (we paid out of our own pocket)? Interested to hear.

Comments

• glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Couldn't happen, the executor of the will manages the bank account
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    How could ashes help get you a loan ?
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't get how anyone could get money from a bank with ashes?
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think you can get money from the TCCB for Ashes.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    Woodpigeon wrote: »
    My brother sadly died a while ago. After he was cremated his ex-girlfriend (they had split up a couple of years before he died) and her friends tried to get me to hand his ashes over. I told them to get lost (there wasn't a will). Now I might be cynical but has anyone ever come across a scam with someone using ashes plus cremation certificate, maybe a fake undertaker's bill, to con the deceased's bank into paying them the funeral expenses (we paid out of our own pocket)? Interested to hear.
    Did anyone apply for letters of administration to deal with his estate? A bank would only pay any funeral costs direct to the undertaker
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Woodpigeon wrote: »
    Now I might be cynical but has anyone ever come across a scam with someone using ashes plus cremation certificate, maybe a fake undertaker's bill, to con the deceased's bank into paying them the funeral expenses

When the bank asks for proof of the death, they mean a death certificate and maybe probate, not an urn full of ashes!
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    When the bank asks for proof of the death, they mean a death certificate and maybe probate, not an urn full of ashes!

:rotfl:Don't make me laugh like this while I'm sipping a single malt whisky!
  • bongonaut
    Options
    I've never come across this, but I dare say some chancer might be prepared to try. As pointed out above, the deceased's bank will usually release funds to pay a funeral bill on production of the funeral director's invoice and an original copy of the death certificate. The payment would be made directly to the funeral director. It isn't usually necessary for Probate of Letters of Admin to be granted for this to happen.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why would you need the genuine ashes? Some old brass pot scrubbed up and filled with ciggy ash would do - the bank's not going to do a DNA test on the ashes is it.....??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure