Options

Comments

• phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 November 2015 at 12:10AM
    Options
    Dhrucku wrote: »
    Get the Forints in the UK. It's just easier and you can get a good rate.

I work in the city and get the best rates around at Thomas Exchange.

Their current rate is sitting at 428.0.

utter class "i work in the city" i take you mean you work in a starbucks in the city

best rates are to be had, as niftydigits has stated, in country at an ATM with the proper piece of plastic in your pocket.

enjoy budapest me the better half are arriving on Monday for a 3 night trip
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    greenface wrote: »
    Always seems a little hit and miss finding the best rates abroard against a safer and easier way here.
    Dhrucku wrote: »
    Get the Forints in the UK. It's just easier and you can get a good rate.
    It's not like that at all. All the high street travel agents, bureaux and Post Office are sitting there waiting for mugs to walk in and accept their exchange rates at a huge spread from the mid-market, and tripping them up with even worse rates if they appear naïve enough and have not 'ordered online' (eg Thomas Cook). So it's hardly 'safer' and 'easier' to buy currency in the UK, and it can definitely never approach the rates you will get by using the right card(s) at your destination.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Turgonuk
    Options
    I suggested avoiding Euronet ATMs because they charge a transaction fee (about €5)' whereas the banks do not charge anything. Also I think the banks don't offer the currency options, just HUF which is less confusing.
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    Turgonuk wrote: »
    I suggested avoiding Euronet ATMs because they charge a transaction fee (about €5)' whereas the banks do not charge anything. Also I think the banks don't offer the currency options, just HUF which is less confusing.

First I've read about this transaction fee.

Unless it was introduced since this April, this receipt appears to refute your claim:

automaten-quittung-ungarn.jpg

The receipt on the right is for the ...gullible.
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    phatbear wrote: »
    utter class "i work in the city" i take you mean you work in a starbucks in the city

Don't see what's wrong with saying that. There are simply many more places to exchange currency at half-decent rates in central London than elsewhere in the country.

That doesn't change the fact that you'll get a better rate using the right card in an ATM in Budapest, but if someone does insist on exchanging cash before travelling, London (whether the City, the West End or other central areas) is probably the best place to do it.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    from memory from last year I got £200 worth from the uk (travel money shop)and then £200 from Budapest atm and the difference wasn't much . about a beer or two .used my Santander card . was going to use my Thomas cook money card but it wouldn't accept it ., I had to to a factfinder where to get the best deal in Budapest and the easiest way to go about it. I remember almost getting ripped in a Turkish travel money shop in 2009 which is why I say its sometimes easier to take enough with you and know how to get more . im not arsed about saving a few quid if I can lose a lot more. Again please don't call people potential idiots. thanks
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • NiftyDigits
    Options
    greenface wrote: »
    from memory from last year I got £200 worth from the uk (travel money shop)and then £200 from Budapest atm and the difference wasn't much . about a beer or two .used my Santander card . was going to use my Thomas cook money card but it wouldn't accept it ., I had to to a factfinder where to get the best deal in Budapest and the easiest way to go about it. I remember almost getting ripped in a Turkish travel money shop in 2009 which is why I say its sometimes easier to take enough with you and know how to get more . im not arsed about saving a few quid if I can lose a lot more. Again please don't call people potential idiots. thanks

You clearly don't realise the irony of your post....as you are exactly the type that we describe.
    "Thomas Cook money card", Santander debit....the worst options. You clearly haven't learnt a thing from the time that you have spent here.
    You can't have been reading what has been written. Really? Are you teasing us?
    How can we wake you from your slumber?
    If you walked in to a Travel Money shop, there is no telling how poor a rate you would receive. If you reserved it online, you would get a crashingly poor rate of 401.65. This compared to a rate of 442 with the right plastic at an ATM. That is around a 10% difference. That is £20 on £200. Quite a few beers in Budapest, don't you agree?
    Whilst perhaps you "can't be asked' to improve your lot, most would not be happy to throw away 10% of their money on the advice of someone who "can't be asked"..... Patently ridiculous.
  • billyolly
    Options
    I have a Nationwide flex plus account will this give me a good rate at ATM s?
  • billyolly
    Options
  • NiftyDigits
    Options
    billyolly wrote: »

Yes. Currently 442.74. Take note not to accept any kind of conversion from the ATM. Just Forints.
    That card isn't quite as good for making purchases abroad. Just ATM withdrawals. Do you have the Select card?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure