🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Ethical S&S ISA

Options
Hi All,
Well, the time has come and I'll be starting to dip my toes into the stock market at the start of 2016 so I can build up some funds for retirement in 30 or so years ;)

I've arranged for my work pension to be maxed out (ie max contributions from my employer) and I can still afford to put some aside every month. I was looking at S&S ISA's and I noticed that Virgin Money have a Climate Change fund you can contribute to and was wondering if anyone else is involved with it?

I've always been an ethical saver etc so I like the idea of helping companies with similar values to myself but I've read mixed reports on GLG on the internet.
:santa2:

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,696 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was looking at S&S ISA's and I noticed that Virgin Money have a Climate Change fund you can contribute to and was wondering if anyone else is involved with it?

Heavy European equity bias. Pretty consistent in its bad performance and not a fund that should be held in isolation.
    I've always been an ethical saver etc so I like the idea of helping companies with similar values to myself but I've read mixed reports on GLG on the internet.

When it comes to investing ethically, you need to be quite specific on your ethics. Ethical funds are not all the same. They focus on specific ethical areas. So, you need to match your ethics to the fund. Each ethical fund publishes a standard list on these to allow comparison.

You also need to be aware that you will be compromising your returns by doing this.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • MarkBargain
    MarkBargain Posts: 1,641 Forumite
    Options
    According to Ethical Consumer magazine, the most ethical funds are:

FP WHEB Sustainability Funds,
    CIS/Co-operative Investments Sustainable Funds
    Jupiter Ethical Funds
    F&C Stewardship Funds
    Standard Life Ethical Funds

http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/buyersguides/money/ethicalinvestmentfunds.aspx

You can invest in those with low fees through a platform such as Charles Stanley Direct.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,696 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can invest in those with low fees through a platform such as Charles Stanley Direct.

But does CSD meet your ethical requirements?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Broken_Biscuits
    Options
    Mark bargain has given some ideas for you to start your research

I invest with abundance investment. It's not stocks and shares, but could be an option alongside whatever ethical fund(s) you choose. They invest in companies that provide renewable energy sources. It's a bit slow to get going, they have been around since 2012 and there's an investment opportunity every 3 months on average. Currently one opportunity available and 2 in the pipeline. Worth a look at their site to see if it appeals.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    But does CSD meet your ethical requirements?

Are there any ethical ifas?
  • HappyHarry
    HappyHarry Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Are there any ethical ifas?

Plenty.

In fact, the vast majority of them.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser. Any comments I make here are intended for information / discussion only. Nothing I post here should be construed as advice. If you are looking for individual financial advice, please contact a local Independent Financial Adviser.
  • Playing_with_Fire_2
    Options
    Check out http://keepingthecauldron.blogspot.co.uk/ for some more ideas about ethical investing.

Agreed with the comments above that you may need to think about which ethics are most important to you (weapons, sugar, pharma, alcohol, tobacco, banking, tax avoidance, living wages, child labour, dirty energy, etc).

The Co-op used to have some well explained ethical funds, I don't know if they are still around.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,980 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The Co-op's ethical funds are now managed by Royal London. They're the ones with "Sustainable" somewhere in the name.

They are much of a muchness with other ethical funds: a bias towards more volatile sectors, a rather wide definition of "ethical" (Royal London Sustainable Leaders' holdings include GSK, Amazon, Starbucks, Unilever, Tesco, all of which may surprise some to be classified as "ethical" stocks), and a ready-made excuse for underperformance. "Returns? But sir, you're an ethical investor, I thought you had higher concerns than merely making money."
  • Playing_with_Fire_2
    Options
    Yikes, thanks for the tip Malthusian. I assumed that there would have been changes but that is a pretty shakey sample. It shows that everyone has their own idea about what is ethical and not.
  • MarkBargain
    MarkBargain Posts: 1,641 Forumite
    Options
    Malthusian wrote: »
    The Co-op's ethical funds are now managed by Royal London. They're the ones with "Sustainable" somewhere in the name.

They are much of a muchness with other ethical funds: a bias towards more volatile sectors, a rather wide definition of "ethical" (Royal London Sustainable Leaders' holdings include GSK, Amazon, Starbucks, Unilever, Tesco, all of which may surprise some to be classified as "ethical" stocks), and a ready-made excuse for underperformance. "Returns? But sir, you're an ethical investor, I thought you had higher concerns than merely making money."

I am not sure they need to say that. Looking at the fact sheets of the top five in the ethical consumer list...

FP WHEB Sustainability Funds
    Up 44% in three years.

CIS/Co-operative Investments Sustainable Funds (now RLUM)
    Up 89% in five years.

Jupiter Ethical Funds
    Up 45% in five years.

F&C Stewardship Funds (now Responsible)
    Up 63% in five years.

Standard Life Ethical Funds
    Up 70% in three years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate