Where can I exchange Royal Mint coins?

Options

Comments

• noh
    noh Posts: 5,799 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much, it's 2oz of fine silver and unlikely to lose value, more likely to gain a little if you keep it mint in the pack. It's not something that banks would handle, perhaps a gold shop or such. Apparently the Royal Mint delivers them by Royal Mail 1st. Why not just hang on to it, unless you need the cash?

The bullion value of 2oz of silver is around £18
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Post office have to accept them if they are legal tender, but they are getting crafty and saying you have to spend £5 in store and use it against it, although this is not technically true practice.

Just check online before the value of the coins, as some coins are worthless, worth 25p and others are valuable up to 4.000.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,041 Forumite
    Options
    Westie983 wrote: »
    Post office have to accept them if they are legal tender,

No they don't. Have you read the link above explaining what legal tender means? Legal tender doesn't mean that it's compulsory to accept it, it's only relevant for the legal settlement of debts.

I'll help you by copying the information here;'

"Legal tender has a very narrow and technical meaning in the settlement of debts. It means that a debtor cannot successfully be sued for non-payment if he pays into court in legal tender. It does not mean that any ordinary transaction has to take place in legal tender or only within the amount denominated by the legislation. Both parties are free to agree to accept any form of payment whether legal tender or otherwise according to their wishes. In order to comply with the very strict rules governing an actual legal tender it is necessary, for example, actually to offer the exact amount due because no change can be demanded."

http://www.royalmint.com/aboutus/policies-and-guidelines/legal-tender-guidelines
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 25 November 2015 at 10:16PM
    Options
    Thanks for that but the post office can not deny to accept any coins that are tender, those that say £5 or £20, or £100 but they can say that it has to be paid against a good or service from them, you can buy a stamp with a £100 coin and they will have to accept it,

note: my original comment was about paying coins into the post office and nothing said about paying for a debt so your above post isn't applicable, and my reply to the OP was about where to exchange coins, and my answer still stands which is the post office.

I appreciate your post thought and yes I am aware of the description of legal tender as I deal with this every day, as I do with commemorative coins that people try to pay in and the solution to this question is to go to the post office!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    you can buy a stamp with a £100 coin and they will have to accept it
    The Post Office is under no obligation to accept your £100 coin.
  • cheerfulcat
    Options
    TheNewGuy wrote: »
    Hi bit of an odd one.

I got a £100 coin from a relative and I know this makes me seem really ungrateful but I rather deposit it into a savings account. Does anyone know which bank might take it?

Thanks

Not a bank, but a coin dealer like Chard http://24carat.co.uk/frame.php?url=onehundredpoundsindx.phphttp://http://24carat.co.uk/frame.php?url=onehundredpoundsindx.php might buy it for something like face value.
  • EarthBoy
    Options
    Thanks for that but the post office can not deny to accept any coins that are tender,

Yes they can refuse to accept them. You clearly haven't read, or understood the quote from the Royal Mint.
    you can buy a stamp with a £100 coin and they will have to accept it,

No they don't have to accept it.
    note: my original comment was about paying coins into the post office and nothing said about paying for a debt so your above post isn't applicable,

You said the post office have to accept legal tender coins. I, and others, have corrected you and explained that they don't. Legal tender only applies to settlement of debts; it's irrelevant in other situations, such as paying coins into the post office.
    I appreciate your post thought and yes I am aware of the description of legal tender as I deal with this every day, as I do with commemorative coins that people try to pay in and the solution to this question is to go to the post office!

Clearly you don't really understand what legal tender means. Your solution is no solution at all because the post office don't have to accept any coins that they don't want to accept.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,581 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It would be interesting to find out which diametrically opposed opinion is right about whether the PO will except the coin, if OP is still around and would like to try it. You can pay in to most bank accounts now at the post office, and they do accept banknotes that many others will not. I recently paid in a Clydesdale Bank £100 note, which is not legal tender in England and many shops will reject. A couple of years ago I exchanged Jersey Pound notes to euros at a PO, even banks will not accept them unless you are a customer.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    noh wrote: »
    They are at liberty, as you are, to decide what to accept.
    Have you read the link?

yes and the only one it says they can refuse are £5 crowns
  • EarthBoy
    Options
    yes and the only one it says they can refuse are £5 crowns

It doesn't say that at all. In fact, it says that post offices will accept the £5 crowns:

"Alternatively, crowns can be exchanged for goods or services at Main Post Office branches throughout the UK. For further assistance please contact the Post Office Helpdesk on 08457 223344."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure